Torque tabs

jstaszko

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a torque tab to mount on my skeg. My boat pulls HARD to the left. Which side should I mount the torque tab?

TIA,
Jim

jstaszko

Seaman Apprentice
Not the trim fin, torque tab.
Image result for torque tab

alldodge

Staff member
OK, and it steers had to the left so to make it easier. the tab would be mounted on the left side of skeg facing the stern.

Now that said, IMO there is no way I would use one of these. Do believe the tab will cause turbulence into the prop, but this is just my opinion

This pic shows it on the right

sd29554-johnson-evinrude-mercury-yamaha-suzuki-torque-tab-alum-t-h-marine-tab-1-dp-md-4.png

jstaszko

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, I am worried about damage cause by cavitation but it pulls so hard my hand is sore by the end of the day and my wife can't even drive the boat. It's a 1972 Starcraft American with a hard left pull. I've played with adjusting the trim fin on the volvo penta outdrive but that only helped a little. Played with the trim, not much improvement either. It's a starter boat so I don't want to put a ton of money into it. I just ordered a set of Barrett spring trim tabs and see if maybe that might also help a little (at least get on plane faster and help with porpoising.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Try a different Prop,.....

Ya might be surprised,.....

kenny nunez

Captain
Whichever pitch propeller you have get the same in the opposite rotation. It only takes about a 1/2 hour to reverse the rotation.