Fuel tank pickup tube

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
I have a 1978 Cruisers Yachts Gran Bateau with a 75 gallon fuel tank. I removed the anti siphon fitting and then the 90 degree elbow the anti siphon fitting threads into. This elbow was threaded into the tank but when I removed it, there was not a tube attached. However, looking into the threaded hole in the tank, it appears there is a tube there and seems connected somehow to the bottom of the threaded piece into which the 90 degree elbow threads. I took these parts off initially because I could not get fuel to the engine by cranking the engine although I could get some fuel but not much at all out of the line that goes into the carb using suction. The tank has approximately 5 gallons of gas in it so I was thinking either I need to add more gas or the pickup tube is broken. If the problem is the tube how is this removed? I tried an easy out but no luck.
I apologize for the long description. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. .

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... I've found fuel dip-tubes like that before,.....

In my case, the in-tank dip-tube was 1/2" id, 'n the elbow was 3/8" pipe thread,......
I reamed out the tank side of the elbow with a drill, 'n sweat in a dip-tube of 3/8" soft copper tubin', cut to length, just off the floor of the tank,.....
Screwed it in, hooked it up, 'n it worked just fine,......

What diameters are You seein',..??

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
Thanks Bondo. I really appreciate the answer. I measured the OD of the threads on the tank side of the elbow and it measured approx. 5/8" at the top and a little more than 1/2" at the bottom of the elbow threads. The ID of the part of the elbow that screws into the tank is 1/2". Therefore, I'm thinking I could do the same as you did. I assume the slightly smaller tube will still supply enough fuel for the engine. It is a 305 ci, with a Rochester 4 BBL and 225 HP..
A couple other questions please. Did you remove your old tube or leave it in the tank?
Also, my elbow fitting is aluminum and to do the fix like you did, I would need to switch to copper. Do you know if using a copper elbow in an aluminum tank causes any issues such as galvanic reaction between 2 dissimilar metals? Lastly, did you cut the bottom of the new copper tube straight and parallel with the bottom of the tank or cut it on a slant and did you put on some type of screen?
Again, thanks so much. I really appreciate all of you time and help.
Have a good evening.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Yer thread description sounds like 3/8" pipe thread,.....

You'll use a Brass fittin,.... No real corrosion issue with the metals,.....

The 3/8" copper tubin', I cut with a tubin' cutter, so, square ended, just 'bout a 1/4" off the bottom of the tank,......

The original dip-tube, I just left it alone, No reason to mess with it,....

No screen, that's what fuel filters are for,.....

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
Got it. Thanks so much. This will save me a lot of time and headaches.
Thanks again and have a good day.