Where to put water separator

77searay197

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I’m trying to clean up my lines on my electric fuel pump and my fuel filter/water separator before I put my motor back in and I was wandering if you should put the separator first and then the fuel pump or should you put the pump and then the separator? It’s a rotary style fuel pump. I’ve seen people do it both ways. I didn’t know if putting the fuel filter/water separator first if it would hurt the performance of the fuel pump because I hear it’s more of a pusher than a puller

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Always before the fuel pump,.....

Why would you wanta pump crud through the pump,..??

77searay197

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That what I was thinking but I heard those rotary pumps can burn up if they aren’t close enough to the tank because they are meant more for pushing than pulling and I didn’t know if it having to suck through the filter first would make it prematurely wear out

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... ALL fluid pumps would rather push, than pull,.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That what I was thinking but I heard those rotary pumps can burn up if they aren’t close enough to the tank because they are meant more for pushing than pulling and I didn’t know if it having to suck through the filter first would make it prematurely wear out
If just the presence of a filter in front of a pump can cause a failure, you obviously sized the pump incorrectly.

What are the specifications for the pump?

77searay197

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It’s a marine rotary powered pump. It pushes 4-5psi when it’s running. Idk the exact model number cause I had to install a electric pump since the motor I have now doesn’t have a spot for a mechanical fuel pump. I’m just saying I’ve heard 2 different ways of doing it. I’m just trying to clean everything up and make sure it’s all right and clean before I install my motor in.