Ignition Coil wiring help

Kelsonj

Cadet
For starters the my back story.
Purchased used boat with Yamaha stern drives as a project. The coil packs were bad so I figured my easiest and cheapest alternative was to losses the YEMS engine management system and go with the simple dizzy and ignition coil and new gauges. Igot everything hooked up and back together and the motor runs and shifts. We have had it out in the Chesapeake quite a few times but I was going thru ignitions coils by the pallet. After a little searching online I found a post that stated that the coil only uses the full 12 volts to start the motor ( ignition switch in start pos.) and the the brave drops down to between 6 and 9 volts once in the on position.
it was explained that the full 12 volt would fry the coil and that would exain my problem. Can anyone explain how I can achieve that voltage drop. My purple wire is 12 volts in the on position.

Kelsonj

Cadet
Would that ballast resistor just be inline on the purple wire. That would be easy and simple but I think it would premenatly drop the voltage even in the start position when It would be nice to have that strong max spark to get things going. I can wire in a resistor and try to start it cold at 40 degrees and that should tell me how the voltage drop will effect cold starts. Do you have a recommodation on what voltage to shoot for. I was thinking try for 9volts with the motor running and batteries charged

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You are over thinking it. Your ignition either needs a resistor or it doesnt.

The ignition only needs 9 volts to work

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
lets start over. which ignition system do you have? the stock Yamaha or other

they make balast resistors for ignition systems that is what you would use or a 1' section of resistor wire.

Maclin

Admiral
As Bondo says, would be good to know what you went with for the new dizzy+coil setup. If you are using an automotive style coil and still "stuck" with only full 12v in the ON position from original wiring, then you can get a universal coil that has internal ballast and can take the full 12v. That might get you a few more hours between coils.