Velvet Drive 71C rebuild trouble

RoosterFeather

Recruit
Just completed a complete rebuild on my Velvet Drive 71C. Followed the rebuild instructions to the ?tee?, at least I thought I did. Today when I went to test my transmission it was stuck in reverse. I cannot figure out why. Any ideas before I have to completely pull the transmission again? Please help.

alldodge

Staff member
If your shift lever is moving but nothing is changing then you need to pull the trans. Since its stuck in reverse something is not allowing oil cut off to the reverse piston or installed without proper clearance and its binding. Did you do a full rebuild or just clutch packs?

RoosterFeather

Recruit
This morning before work I checked the cable linkage to the transmission. I actuated the throttle lever and it did not move the gear selector lever. Somewhere the cable has come loose. In my haste of trying it out yesterday evening in the last bit of daylight I did not check if the cable moved the lever. I could freely moving the lever before I attached the cable so I just assumed that everything was fine. My assumption is that the cable must have come loose at the throttle lever when there was slack in it when it was unhooked from the transmission. I will have to look after work today. I HOPE that is the only thing wrong and I do not have to pull the transmission again!

RoosterFeather

Recruit
I went home at lunch and checked the cable. Evidently when I checked it this morning it was disengaged. I engaged it and everything moved correctly. The transmission selector lever moves like it should. I started the motor briefly and the transmission is indeed still stuck in reverse. On the way back in I remembered something odd when I took the transmission apart. I was going to write something in this post about it. My transmission did not have a steel clutch plate between the reverse friction plate and the reverse clutch pressure plate like the manual showed. I couldn't remember what the steel clutch plate was called so I looked in the manual before I typed it. This time when I looked at the manual I noticed at the section about re-assembling the reverse clutch it gives a reference to a chart 3 pages over. So I looked at the chart. Only then did I read that the 1017-001 series DOES NOT use a steel reverse clutch plate. Only a friction plate and the pressure plate. Well Crap! There's your problem right there!! So it looks like I get to pull the transmission and take the steel clutch plate out tonight!! Son-ova!