New member project question

Ernzo2

Recruit
New member, 1975 Century Arabian 454 Crusader 750 hours. But..

Previous (1) owner had a family emergency and failed to winterize so...the motor did fire ran great (very brief) but when I introduced water it pretty much all went in the oil pan!

So now I am removing the sludge, I will drain any and all remaining water and re-fill the oil pan with new oil and then revolve the motor with the coil off to try to circulate the oil through. Oh, oil filter as well...

Then...I have to wrench this myself ($) so my plan is to drop the intake manifold and do a survey...I'm hoping for any ideas or suggestions.

I knew about the failure to winterize (9000 feet Colorado) going in but I'd like to keep looking....heads and intake manifolds can be had inexpensively but blocks.....☹

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just pull the whole motor and set it asside as you will need the flywheel, starter, alternator, front accessory brackets, intake, carb and fuelpump off it.

the lack of winterization literally busted your block and heads and exhaust manifolds and risers.

you can get a complete running Mark IV motor from a truck or RV for about $350 from a you-pull-it salvage yard. I personally would simply find a late 80's 2500 or 3500 work truck that is running from a municiple auction and pluck the motor from there. new marine cam, brass core plugs and marine head gaskets along with new exhaust manifolds and risers and your back on the water for under $1500. the manifolds and risers will cost you more than the motor will.

Bondo

Staff member
So now I am removing the sludge, I will drain any and all remaining water and re-fill the oil pan with new oil and then revolve the motor with the coil off to try to circulate the oil through. Oh, oil filter as well...

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Don't bother,.... Pull the motor,.... Ya need atleast a new Long Block,....

Ernzo2

Recruit
Yes, I'm sure....we'll, I have a gen IV 454 locally for about 5 hundred, swap the marine parts, my oil pan is like cast iron or something...manifolds and risers are bit cooled as far as I can see? so I'll look at them...

Ernzo2

Recruit
Ok so I have a line on a gen IV 2 bolt main engine locally, my plan is to perhaps swap in my heads ( assuming they test out) and exhaust risers, use the intake that is on the donor engine, swap in the various other parts- raw water pump, alternator setup oil filter etc, my concern is matching the flywheel I've got a borg Warner 72c velvet / v- drive.

The swap ought not to be to laborious, ideas? And thanks in advance!!

Ernzo2

Recruit
Update 2018

been awhile, been reassembling the engine, had back surgery in the spring, better now!

turns out the only issue was a slightly cracked lifter valley water jacket, cylinders are fine, heads are fine. I used marine epoxy on the crack and it is completely successful, in fact I’ve learned that there are many options to replacing an engine if one does the research. These Crusader 454 engines from that time period are very strong....

motor runs strong, as the boat had not been used in some years, I’ve had to R&R various systems, tighten things, etc.

its been a long slow process but o hope I can finish and get her in the lake soon!

ive not had any kind of survey done, I know the previous owner had the “insides replaced” which is the floor, and all associated wood. I have no idea as to the condition of the stringers, the transom has had work done at some point. I don’t believe the motor has been out, but the heads were rebuilt at some point, not many hours ago, they looked clean!