1968 Larson Lapliner Volero 177 - restoration tips for engine repair/replace

We bought a pretty good condition Lapliner for $700. Got it cleaned up and (we thought) almost running. We believe the engine may have a warped head or manifold - water is getting into the cylinders. So now we have to make a decision to either try to get a replacement engine or replace part after part on this one or just cut our losses and sell it.

It has an inboard Ford 289. Any opinions on this engine? Or if it would be easy to find another engine to bolt into place? Any suggestions for what kind of engine or websites for help are greatly appreciated.

kenny nunez

Captain
OMC did not use Ford engines in 1968. Which drive system do you have. Try to post a picture .

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I feel bad because I flagged this one an asked a Mod to move it from boat resto to an I/O forum since he wasn't getting any help. Apparently the Mod picked OMC not the OP. But yes Russellsthree we do need to know what drive system we're talking about here and maybe we can get this moved to a better forum section.

Sorry for the delay in answering.

Its an Eaton drive system. The owner was our neighbor, who bought it new in 68. He said that we would have a hard time finding others like it.
What engine would you expect to see in it?
I'm trying to upload a picture but am having difficulty: invalid files. Any tips for uploading?

Last edited:

kenny nunez

Captain
Trying to locate parts for this is not worth the effort. Hopefully you can locate a later model complete engine and drive. If the hull is solid it will make a nice boat but marine drive systems are not like 60s cars and between corrosion,neglect , finding someone who can work on it and parts availability it is just not worth the trouble .

We are giving it another go. Husband found a problem with one of the gaskets. So its back apart.

So you're saying that if this doesnt go, we need to just replace the whole thing. What is the best way to find what will fit?

Bondo

Staff member
We believe the engine may have a warped head or manifold - water is getting into the cylinders. So now we have to make a decision to either try to get a replacement engine or replace part after part on this one or just cut our losses and sell it.

It has an inboard Ford 289. Any opinions on this engine?
Its an Eaton drive system. The owner was our neighbor, who bought it new in 68. He said that we would have a hard time finding others like it.
What engine would you expect to see in it?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... I'd expect to see a Volvo drive with the Ford motor,....

'n a Chrysler motor with the Eaton drive,....

My houseboat has a pair of 318s, 'n Dana/ Eaton drives,...

Marysville Marine has the largest line of still available Chrysler/ Dana/ Eaton parts I've found anywhere,....

As for the Ford motor,...
Ford's been outa the marine biz since the mid-90s,...

Chevy based power was, has been, 'n is still the power of choice, with the largest selection of options available for the cubic dollars spent,....

My Navy Engineman husband got er all fixed up and she's running sweet. We learned a lot from searching the forums. This is a great resource. Im going to try to post pics, still having issues.
It definitely is an eaton drive with a ford 289. 165 horses that sounds awesome! Original to the boat. Our neighbor was the only owner, and is thrilled to see it running on the lake again. He has every part that he ever replaced on it stored in his garage. He makes a daily trip to our place on his golf cart to bring us more goodies.

kenny nunez

Captain
You are in luck, the drive is a VOLVO and probably a 250 model. Easy to get parts and work on . It uses 30# motor oil in the drive about 2.5 quarts . As long as the drive has oil it will last forever and usually they out live the engines. Eaton just like Chrysler and Holman & Moody used Volvo drives . Eaton quit making their own drives in the late 60s and you have benefitted from it. I was an EN2 from 65-69.
And yes the boat has classic lines, some of the current boats I see look like a reject from the space program.
Make mine a 18' Donzi classic.

Last edited:
No Title

Thanks so much EN2 for the advice about the drive. I have issues with the forum showing up correctly on my phone so I didn't realize that you had answered. It was perfect timing because we needed to figure out exactly what this drive is. We ordered replacement bellows for exhaust and drive.
This boat is running like a dream and we are really enjoying it! Had it out on the big lake (Michigan) last weekend.
I'm uploading a picture of the 165hp Ford 289 in case anyone searching the forums is interesting in seeing it.
Pictured also is my Navy husband - EN2 from 82 - 86. Then he crossed over to the wild side and became a Seabee (BU1 from 00-present)

Attachments

• photo275486.jpg
    photo275486.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 0