Water in Oil, under valve covers only (maybe)

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
1987 Crusader 270 GM 5.7l 350ci. While cruising in Lake Erie yesterday, lost power on port engine (syncronizer pegged to starboard).. She would not hold RPM above 2800, but held anywhere up to 2800. Throttling up past that she would bog down. My first though was a clogged fuel filter based on those symptoms, but also noted low oil pressure, so I nursed her back to port. Once in, I checked the oil. Dip stick was clean with proper oil level. I opened the valve cover and found milkshake sludge. Same under the other valve cover. So my next assumption is a head gasket, but I did NOT overheat.. I've always associated blown head gaskets with the added temp of engine overheating, but I guess its not improbable for the gasket to give away under normal conditions is it?

Also I find it odd that the oil in the oil pan appears to be clean oil without water in it, and only sludge under the valve covers. Does that point to something other than a head gasket? Does anyone have any suggestions? I plan to start pulling that engine apart on Tuesday to replace the gaskets (hoping thats the problem)

I only had the boat out a couple of times this year, but not for lenghty times, so I'm concerned that there could be a freeze crack from winterization that is just now starting to show. So I guess I'm asking for suggestions of things to look for.

Thanks guys!

Bondo

Staff member
Also I find it odd that the oil in the oil pan appears to be clean oil without water in it, and only sludge under the valve covers.

Ayuh,..... It's just condensation,....

The valve covers are the coldest thing the oil sees, so that's where condensation happens,....

I'm guessin' yer runability issue is crap in the gas, so check the contents of the fuel filter for anything but clean fresh gasoline, then throw on a new filter,....

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the reply Bondo.. but I'm afraid its more than just condensation, as its fairly abundant when looking inside the valve covers (through the fill cap).I can see the sludge all around the rockers (and oil pressure was hovering around 20-30 leading me to believe something wasnt right). I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and post it. Also going to drain the oil and see if theres water since it's had a day to settle..

Again, I appreciate your suggestion.. hopefully you're right !