1990 bayliner omc cobra engine swap need help!!!

crazyjunk99

Recruit
i picked up a 1990 bayliner inboard. it has no motor or transom. i believe it had the 4 cylinder in it.
What engines can i put in like the 5.0l or even the 4.3. how hard is it what do i need

thank you justin

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1990 bayliner omc cobra engine swap need help!!!

i picked up a 1990 bayliner inboard. it has no motor or transom. i believe it had the 4 cylinder in it.
What engines can i put in like the 5.0l or even the 4.3. how hard is it what do i need

thank you justin

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Are ya sayin' you got a Bare hull, 'n no sign of the old driveline,..??

How rotten is the wood in the hull,..??

The best way to get another driveline is to buy a runnin' boat, with the driveline ya want,...

crazyjunk99

Recruit

The boat in amazing shape not wood rott

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You can put any OMC Cobra in.The newer Volvo/OMC won't go in as easy.
The other brands will need some structrual work.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

If it's a bare hull, look for a rotten hull with a Mercruiser 4.3 V6 with an Alpha One Outdrive.

If it had a 3.0, you'll need to make some sort of cantilevered mounts that land on the "stringer" boxes on the sides of the bilge compartment for the V6 front engine mounts. I welded mine up out of steel. They lag into the top and sides of the box which is not a solid stringer on my 92 Capri. It is a hollow box. I suspect most 90's Bayliners are similar.

Last edited: