1977 Sea Ray 351w 235 OMC Starting

dans1717

Cadet
Hello I have a 1977 Sea Ray, it has the 351W with a 235 OMC. It has a recently rebuilt motor in it, and i need to know how the wiring goes to the starter solenoid. i have a couple photos photo.jpgphoto(1).jpgphoto(2).jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Sea Ray 351w 235 OMC Starting

I'm confused! Why are you showing two different solenoids?

dans1717

Cadet

I am not sure why I just got the boat this week. Was looking for some pro help cuz I'm a little lost. A wiring diagram would work I guess it's omc model no. 990240m and serial no. W531306. It came with 2 solenoids on it and I can get more pics if needed or preferred

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Some of what you showed are tilt solenoids. There would be one for up and one for down. The third one is for the starter. It should not be difficult to follow the major cables and see where they go. The two tilt solenoids look the same and are usually mounted side by side.

Starter solenoids have two main lugs. One for juice in from the battery and the other for juice out to the starter. They also have two small terminals. One is for the wire from the ignition switch and the other is for a momentary full 12v to the coil while the starter is cranking. Once you let go of the key, that terminal goes dead. Shouldn't be hard to figure out.

dans1717

Cadet

I wanted to say thank you for your help, as it turns out the wire that goes from the key ignition to the neutral safety switch and then to the solenoid was removed by previous owner. Previous owner also did not have the starter solenoids or trim solenoids grounded. Starter was bad had it checked and then I replaced it, and the ignition coil was tired possibly bad so I changed it also. I hooked up a wire from the key ignition (tested with a voltmeter to find the correct wire that provides the 12v current when the key is in the start position) to the I terminal of the starter solenoid and the motor cranks now. I will test that switch and then if good I plan on running a nice clean fresh wire from the key ignition to the neutral safety switch and then from that switch to the starter solenoid now that I know the problem there. That being said I ordered the points elimination kit today and then I cleaned/gapped the sparkplugs, and checked all my spark plug wires for continuity. I will attempt to start it once i check my gas tank/gas, and the carb. Should be sometime this week when my stuff arrives that I can test it. Any other things you think would benefit me before I give a test crank?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you will get it all wrapped up just in time to winterize it? We sure have been cheated of a nice warm September out here in the PNW. When you go to cranking it, if there is any chance it will start, be sure to supply water to the outdrive.