Removed bolt on outdrive and now cannot get it back on

vspinnet

Cadet
Finally got my engine to start, however there was some noise going into forward or reverse (not sure if it's normal), so I removed a bold on the outdrive suspecting that it was the place to check lubricant levels. I removed the bolt and had water coming out. I tried bolting it back, but the bolt bolted to a non-stationary nut and now I cannot get it back on. I'm think I'm going to have to take everything apart. Oh, god! How do I get the bolt back on?

My engine is an OMC Cobra 5.7 Litre. Here are pictures of the outdrive where the bolt was removed.

029.jpg028.jpg

Edit: The first image reads "Removed nut here," but should read "Removed bolt here."

vspinnet

Cadet
Re: Removed bolt on outdrive and now cannot get it back on

Does anyone know which bolt I removed, and should water be in there? Thanks.

vspinnet

Cadet

Thank you guys for providing existing helpful information. I would have never thought that this plug would have been covered before. Well, it looks like I pulled the dummy plug..

vspinnet

Cadet

I have another question.. I read that the "retainer clip falls down on top of the lower unit" and that you need to "remove the drive to get the clip/backing plate out of there." When I look in the hole, with a screw driver, I can pull a rubber gasket and nut forward to the hole opening and possibly screw the bolt back into the nut and gasket. Is there more than what I'm seeing? Those quotes mention a retainer clip and a backing plate.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Your chances of fixing it without backing the drive out/off. Is VERY slim.
They didn't show the parts on any diagrams i've seen.
I have the manual and they didn't show it in there.
Just drop the drive and get the parts and post some pics for the others??
While it's off,grease the u-joints??

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should be taking your drive off annually to check for water, grease u-joints and check alignment. Good time to take it off anyway.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

You should be taking your drive off annually to check for water, grease u-joints and check alignment. Good time to take it off anyway.

Yeah. You removed the "DO NOT REMOVE--BOLT" You're in good company because there's countless people here that have removed it!

Some have been able to "fish" it out with a magnet or wire etc and reconnect it........

But I'm with Bruce, If you have not removed the drive recently (last year or so), now is the time to do it.

Regards,

Rick