1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ????

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ??

hmm i dont think a manuals going to help me to help me much with this and i know theirs gentlemen out there that are willing to help me with this. so i got that last spark plug out of the cylinder sprayed some stuff in all 4 cylinders this time,rocked it and tried to start it , still nothing however the crank sounds like its moving or trying to move now and i found that the clicking noise sounds like its coming from the outdrive area behind the motor i think the outdrive maybe the problem or the shaft from it is caught up on something perhaps ???? should i pull the whole outdrive off ? or just the back ??

thanks, austin

Ayuh,.... If ya read a Manual,... atleast you'd understand the lingo of what's bein' talked about....

What We're callin' the Outdrive needs to come off, as Bruce says,...

I've No Clue at all as to what Yer callin' the Outdrive....

Spend some time lookin' 'round in Here,...
It ain't all OMC stuff, but there's Still Tons, 'n Tons of learnin' you can do in there....

my4winnsboat

Cadet
Re: 1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ??

okay so i got the outdrive off the boat how do i tell if the drive is seized ??? or where do i go from here ?? otherwise im just going to start lifting out this motor and try attempting this myself. i will take any advise if helpfull thanks

my4winnsboat

Cadet

also i know what a outdrive is to settle all the confusion.

thanks.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

okay so i got the outdrive off the boat how do i tell if the drive is seized ??? or where do i go from here ?? otherwise im just going to start lifting out this motor and try attempting this myself. i will take any advise if helpfull thanks
Turn the drive shaft. If it turns, it isn't seized.

my4winnsboat

Cadet

okay so the drive is good then its turnin just fine must be the motor

matt167

Captain

If your marine cylinder head is good, you can use a Ford Ranger 2.3 up to 1994. You just need to swap the marine specific parts over. If the boat is that nice, it may be a good candidate for a 3.0L Mercruiser setup. You can probably find a rot box boat for $500, and get what you need to make it work

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

This guy asked for help and it seems all he really got was a bunch of **** and some poor opinions.
I guess they should make a OPINION ON HOW I(they) THINK??Section.
If the drive is turning while in gear and there is good oil in it.That will get your money back.
The motor, turning bolt? is it in the harmonic balancer?
When you pulled the plugs was there any water or rust?
Remove the starter and try turning the flywheel with a prybar.
While it's apart? Check the exhaust manifold? Make sure it's not clogged.Those parts are NLA.
Thanks to the ones who did offer help.

my4winnsboat

Cadet

thanks matt and jerry iv been taking it apart since i took off the outdrive and got the head case off the top and found its good up their looked really clean suprisingly and the crank on top seems to be okay,when i got the spark plugs out they were rusty and didnt look good when i checked the oil though it looked clean,when i took off the water pump or on the left part of the motor that leads into the block i found tons of rust and saltwater damage, rusty bits and pieces from the pipe broken off and sitting in the passageway, im sorta glad the engine didnt run when i tried to start it first, that stuff cant be good, although im going to keep taking it apart and try the crowbar in the flywheel and im really curiouse about whats in the block after seeing all the damage though im thinking i might just have to replace the bottem half off the engine with a car motor like matt said. but if i have to dump more then a few hundred dollars im just going to pull the motor and sell it with the outdrive to someone who wants to put engine in

thanks austin

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only reason a service manual specific to your engine/drive wouldn't help you is if you couldn't read and you are here so we know that's not the case. The manufacturers develop those manuals for training and service purposes. What on earth makes you think it wouldn't help.

matt167

Captain

The crank on top is the camshaft. The motor sounds like it is trash. Doubt I would go any farther with it. Scout out a pre '94 Ford 2.3L. Mustang, Capri, Ranger and Thunderbird will all work. You just need to keep the marine camshaft, cylinder head, intake/ exhaust manifolds and water pump. Distributor also. You may be able to get one for little of nothing but a complete rot box boat as a donor with a 2.5L/ 3.0L Mercruiser setup will likely be cheaper. Either way, your going to be out at least $1k into getting it going, and a non running 2.3L Bayliner is a freebie boat

RogersJetboat454

Commander

but if i have to dump more then a few hundred dollars im just going to pull the motor and sell it with the outdrive to someone who wants to put engine in

I think you're there now.
Your going to have to spend some cash to find a 20+ year old engine that's still got life left in it. Your going to need to get a top end gasket set which will probably run you 40+ dollars. A timing belt, and a water pump if you want to do things right. And a service manual for torque specs and procedures to set it up correctly.
If someone buys an engine you built, and something fails, you own it. Let them do that for them selves, then there's nobody else to blame.

At this point, I'd say check your drive over well for damage, drain the oil to make sure the drive isn't full of water or metal bits. If all's well, post it up on C-list with any ancillary bits off the engine (ignition, carb, starter, alternator, etc) that are still in good shape.

my4winnsboat

Cadet

hmm yeah from the sounds of it i dont want to get any further with this thing im just going to post the whole thing up for sale and make my profit befor i start loosing my profit i know the outdrive is worth atleast 600 to 800 the trailer 600 and the motor with what parts are still good on it atleast 100 plus the good hull on the boat and all the brand new upholstry and parts and what not have to be worth somethingg im just going to sell the whole thing for 1200 or best offer thanks everyone for the help anyway.

Bondo

Staff member

hmm yeah from the sounds of it i dont want to get any further with this thing im just going to post the whole thing up for sale and make my profit befor i start loosing my profit i know the outdrive is worth atleast 600 to 800 the trailer 600 and the motor with what parts are still good on it atleast 100 plus the good hull on the boat and all the brand new upholstry and parts and what not have to be worth somethingg im just going to sell the whole thing for 1200 or best offer thanks everyone for the help anyway.

Ayuh,... Keep Us posted,... We'd love to know the final tally....

my4winnsboat

Cadet

alright will do might take awhile but i know it will sell.

thanks, austin

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If you have rust in the plugs/cylinders you can bet the pistons are siezed.
Pay close attention to the riser and manifold.
Possible they are in good shape???
They don't sell these anymore and there is always someone looking for a replacement.

chrisrooter

Seaman Apprentice

If you have rust in the plugs/cylinders you can bet the pistons are siezed.
Pay close attention to the riser and manifold.
Possible they are in good shape???
They don't sell these anymore and there is always someone looking for a replacement.

I stepped in s@#% my boat overheated last year replaced thermostat was all jammed up, thought I had it in the bag went out again, everything was ok for awhile the n I seen the bilge kickin water out side of boat, removed Bach and saw bottom of exhaust manifold pissing water all over the top of my starter, had a hairline about 5" in a semi circle around the drain plug area. Toast. Too far gone to try welding. Searched and found a guy in Rhode Island with parts for sale took a chance $170 used with riser. Yes both parts. He took em off boat said they were ok when he removed due to spun crank. Had them acid tanked to clean up. Installed and set sail. A-ok 170 deg. Tops out on the water. This was in October later voyage, since then I rebuilt carb and winterized. Now I can't wait to see how it really does. Just sharing my great find. There is a guy selling manifold on eBay for 999 I think free shipping. Really hard parts to find, so don't throw anything away, it's valuable to someone.

my4winnsboat

Cadet

hey so i just posted that bayliner up for sale today finnaly had some good weather to do it, so now we will see how long it takes to sell but i thought maybe you guys might be interested in checking out my add it got pictures and lots of info in it check it out heres the link

Last edited by a moderator:

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Thats too bad about that engine. That boat looks to be in good shape for its age. How is the floor and transom? Any soft spots?

my4winnsboat

Cadet

yeah it really is too bad and their was a small soft spot near the ski locker but i already repaired it besides that the transom is very solid like brand new as is the condition of the boat, and like i said i refurbished the entire hull it turned out really good theirs no oxidation anywhere and the boat has a nice glossy look to it now.