1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ????

my4winnsboat

Cadet
so i got a really good deall on this 1988 bayliner capri and couldnt pass it up so i bought it,this isnt my hobby boat and i picked it up to turn a little profit on it, it has a 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine in it, when i brought it home i tryed starting it and it was just making this click sound but everything else in the boat works i mean everything and the outdrive tilt and trim works dead on also. so i did a little research and i thought it might be froze up or siezed ??? the last owner said he hadnt ran it for the last two years and i doubt he even winterized it, so far i tried spraying p-b blaster in 3 of the 4 cylinders i couldnt get the last spark plug out, after i sprayed it i rocked it back and forth and let it sit for about 30 minates came back and tryed turning the bolt on the front of the engine to try and get the crank to move and still wouldnt budge ??? the bolt is just turning itself now. so i tryed putting heavy oil in the cylinders and let it sit over night that didnt work either ????? i though it might of been the starter so i took that off the engine tested it and its working, so now my question is am i going to be taking out this engine and try rebuiilding it ???? or maybe going in and replacing or greasing up a few parts ???? what ever i have to do ??? however i only have a limited emount of basic experience in marine mechanics and limited funding for this so taking it to a marine shop is out of the question installing another motor in it isnt tottally out of the question but i want to stick to the same type of engine and around the same horsepower and year to avoid troubleshooting all the adjustments and modifications ill have to make. and i cant find any people selling this motor around in my area. soo that leaves me with one thing this motor is coming out one way or another but what id like to know is how do i go about taking apart this engine???? to i guess you would say rebuild maybe
???? what should i be looking for ???? is their a certain way i should go about doing this ??? i dont know anything really of how to do this???i do have the tools and know how to get it uninstalled and out of the boat and onto the floor of my garage from there i desperatly need some help and guidance on this one any help will be so greatfull thanks.

Attachments

• bayliner.jpg
    bayliner.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ??

What do you mean the bolt is just turning itself now?

my4winnsboat

Cadet
Re: 1988 bayliner capri 120hp 2.3 liter ford cobra omc inboard engine rebuild help ??

well what i mean is i think the main head bolt is striped maybe ?? but im sure not sure becouse i can still tighten and loosen it either way but the crank is not turning with it. ??

thanks,4winns

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this isnt my hobby boat and i picked it up to turn a little profit on it,

You made a big mistake. No one buys dead bayliners to fix up and make a profit on. Let alone Ford powered ones.

That engine was only used by OMC for 3 years, then it went away. Oh, BTW so did OMC in 98. They no longer exist, just like most of the marine parts for that engine.

tpenfield

Staff member

Wow, such a deal. I think that the guy who sold it is quite relieved.

you should be turning the crankshaft only on one direction, otherwise the bolt will just come off. Did you take the spark plugs out yet? That might be the issue, if the engine has a hydro lock or something other than just stuck pistons.

Bondo

Staff member

well what i mean is i think the main head bolt is striped maybe ?? but im sure not sure becouse i can still tighten and loosen it either way but the crank is not turning with it. ??

thanks,4winns

Ayuh,.... Did ya get the 4th spark plug out,..?? That's Job #1....

Job #2 is pullin' off the Drive, as it could possibly be what's seized...

If the cylinder with the plug still in it, has water in it, it ain't gonna turn, til it's out...

my4winnsboat

Cadet

Don you are wrong im going to make money on this boat either way the cobra outdrive alone is worth $1000 or more and the trailer is worth atleast $400 and by the way only smart people buy boats for cheap to sell for almost triple of what they paid for it, and these are selling in my area right now for $2000 or more some dont even run and the interior in this boat is like brand new.

tpenfield : i was able to get three spark plugs out.

bruce : i couldnt get the last spark plug out becouse the waterpump was in the way but if that might be a reason its not starting i will go do that right now and let you know what happens thank you

thanks, austin

Speak

Chief Petty Officer

Don is not wrong about much. Have some respect. Otherwise no one will answer your questions.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I sold a 1987 20.5' Bayliner with a 5.0L engine back in 2002 to my neighbor for $2500 that ran perfectly and was in very good condition. Hard to imagine you could get $2000 for that one but anything is possible I guess.

Bondo

Staff member

I sold a 1987 20.5' Bayliner with a 5.0L engine back in 2002 to my neighbor for $2500 that ran perfectly and was in very good condition. Hard to imagine you could get $2000 for that one but anything is possible I guess.

Ayuh,... In my experience, that's 'bout where the askin' price of 'bout any runnin' boat bottoms out...

Not to say the dreamers on CL get their Askin' prices....

my4winnsboat,.... Ya gotta get the 4th spark plug Out, 'n the Drive, Off, to proceed...

my4winnsboat

Cadet

haha well maybe you should go make your own thread about how don is right then, i would advice go price how much good outdrives are going for on ebay after that you should check out ebay and see how much these bayliners are selling for or maybe even your local craigslist after you do that if your right then youll be telling me that these bayliners with brand new interior a working outdrive and with a complete engine and a nice galvinized trailer with titles are selling for just half the price of what the trailer is worth alone all day in your local classifieds if once you find out if this is true then come tell me if don is right i didnt make this thread for people to tell me how i made a mistake on buying this boat for dirt cheap was a bad idea becouse i know it wasnt i simply made this thread for people to help me diagnose the engine. thanks for your concern though.

my4winnsboat

Cadet

that last message was not addressed to you bondo i was addressing speak and wow sounds like you settled yourself short atleast 1500 . and im trying to get that spark plug out just waiting for my wife to get home so i can move her car out of the way im going to put this in the garage while i work in this weather is terrible out here.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You haven't proven the outdrive is any good since you can't get the engine to turn over. With the outdrive off you can then determine which one is locked up. For all you know they are both locked up which leaves you with a hull and trailer.

Maclin

Admiral

Your view on all this is understandable and there are many variations on that theme throughout the threads on this site. Craiglist only shows how much the seller wants, no history on how much it sold for if it even sold, and then if the new buyer ever got it going. Do you have any offers on it yet? If so my advice is: better take one. No way you will come out on this if you have to rebuild the engine to flip it unless someone gave you $1200 to take it off their hands. And with that, I am not even considering having to gut it and put stringers and flooring and new interior in, and any or all of that is more than likely needing to be done to that boat based on your description of the prior treatment of it (not to menton that particular brand's lack of longevity for that vintage). All this plus your description of the application of your own skills ("...greasing up a few parts...") pretty much guarantee this will be a learning experience only with negative profit. I hope not, but odds are it will not go as you are planning now, just sayin'.

tpenfield

Staff member

I still think that the guy that sold this boat is quite relieved . . . However, fixing this boat will be a positive experience because of the knowledge gained in the process.

my4winnsboat

Cadet

yeah i guess that is true i wont really know what i got till i open it up and find whats wrong with this thing and how much work illl have to put into it,but worst comes to worst i can always sell it as is and move on, but ill see, so one question im about to take off the outdrive if pulling that last spark doesnt work, but am i going to be pulling off the whole drive and shaft ?? or just the back part of the outdrive ??? cuz if i pull out the whole outdrive looks like ill have to pull the motor to get to it first ???? any idea ??

thanks, austin

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I'd suggest picking up a good manual because you've managed to alienate some very knowledgeable people on here and I would be surprised if any of them want to talk you through the process of discovering you've got a white elephant.

my4winnsboat

Cadet

hmm i dont think a manuals going to help me to help me much with this and i know theirs gentlemen out there that are willing to help me with this. so i got that last spark plug out of the cylinder sprayed some stuff in all 4 cylinders this time,rocked it and tried to start it , still nothing however the crank sounds like its moving or trying to move now and i found that the clicking noise sounds like its coming from the outdrive area behind the motor i think the outdrive maybe the problem or the shaft from it is caught up on something perhaps ???? should i pull the whole outdrive off ? or just the back ??

thanks, austin

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need a manual. The whole drive comes off.

Basically those 6 nuts, the trim rams, and make sure its in neutral. Depending when it was last off, likely a LONG time, it might come off...maybe.