Omc cobra 5.0

Hey guys I'm new to the forums but you all seem to have a huge wealth of knowledge. I am purchasing a 1994 Chris craft 217 concept b/r with the omc cobra 5.0. The engine was redone 2 years ago but ever since has been "fuely" and doggy on the low end and idle, doesn't jump out of the water but they have put 80 hrs onto the vessel with these problems. That tells me that the internals of the engine are sound but it feels to me the efi is out of tune or the timing is off. Any ideas? Thanks everyone

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Omc cobra 5.0

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Is it the 5.0l Ford,..??

Or the 5.0l Chevy,..??

Is the Efi, a throttle body style,..??

Hey Bond-o,

thanks for the quick responce. The engine is OMC cobra 5.0 efi, it is a true efi and i believe by the engine ci and the name cobra this engine is the 260 hp 302 ford chris craft engine.jpg, i hope this picture comes through, it is of the exact motor.

I have not run this boat myself yet but was hoping with the little information that the owners have provided to me that we all can come up with an answer for low power at low rpm and the smell of the boat over fueling. I am mechanically inclined but EFI is a step up from myself unless its the injectors or a basic part.

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats . . .

You have probably read about the potential issues of owning an OMC in various threads, here and elsewhere. Considering that it has a known engine issue, I am wondering what about this boat makes it preferable to other boats? Is it worth your while?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What outdrive is on it? Pictures help, but they have to be big enough you can see them. Don't post the thumbnails, link to the full sized picture. How to Post Pictures - The Basics

The reason I ask about the drive is 94 was the first year of the SX

The bad part about buying any boat with Ford in it, is there is almost no marine parts available for it. The last Ford used with a sterndrive by OMC, Volvo, or even Mercruiser was 96.

Hey Ted,
Yes im not super knowledgeable on the OMC, i know a lot about 5.0 fords though. What are some common problems i may be missing? i know there has been issues with a linkage from the forward controls to the engine which in return restricts the fuel while in gear. The boat has a new throttle cable and linkage, fuel pump and starter. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Don S,
Yes it is the sx drive, good or bad? I understand there are not a lot of major parts available yet it being a basic ford is i know what parts interchange, on the negative side there are definitely parts that will not cross over that will be difficult to find.

Anyone have any ideas why an EFI system would over fuel on the low end? restricted air flow? problem in the computer tune?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The SX is a good thing. It's a Volvo drive. From 94 to 98, OMC and Volvo were in what they called a joint venture and everything that was sold was the same between OMC and Volvo (except for decals, paint colors, some part numbers, etc.). Then in 98 Volvo bought out omc outright and OMC Sterndrives ended.
In 96, the last Ford was sold by either. While basic engine parts are the same as auto engines, the accessories (like the EFI system) has specific marine specific parts that are just not available any more. Even from Volvo.

I can't answer your questions on the EFI system, but here is a link to the Volvo manual that covers that engine. (assuming it's an MD model). Might want to post your full model number so we can make sure. It's not uncommon for a boat to have an engine and drive a year older or newer than the boat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5e1ugy7mezed8o6/7796458 MD Ford EFI Diagnostic.pdf

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you haven't purchased the boat yet. Don't. Ford based OMC power while I'm sure was fine in it's day is just going to be a disaster for you when stuff breaks.

If you have bought the boat:
-Give it a full tune up. Gap the plugs. Time it.
-Check the fuel pressure at the rail. Within spec? Fuel pressure regulator working?
-Clean/replace MAP/MAF sensor. Check voltage at sensor. Might as well do the whole intake.
-Is it getting enough air?
-Is it giving you any trouble codes?
-Lastly I would diagnose a stuck injector or bad ECM

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure its got the right size prop on it. Too big and it will be very doggy trying to accelerate. Take a look at the spark plugs after running around at idle and just above. Is one cylinder running richer than the others? When you say "fuely" do you mean the engine seems to be running too rich? Or are you smelling fuel?

I dont own the boat yet but this is the problem the family is describing, they say the acceleration is low off the start (with that motor the boat should jump to plane quickly) and at idle and just above they say they smell fuel, I believe they are smelling it through the exhaust which tells me the mixture is too rich. That either means a poor fire, improper tune of too much fuel, or restricted air correct?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I dont own the boat yet but this is the problem the family is describing, they say the acceleration is low off the start (with that motor the boat should jump to plane quickly) and at idle and just above they say they smell fuel, I believe they are smelling it through the exhaust which tells me the mixture is too rich. That either means a poor fire, improper tune of too much fuel, or restricted air correct?

You might want to read what Don said again......

While basic engine parts are the same as auto engines, the accessories (like the EFI system) has specific marine specific parts that are just not available any more. Even from Volvo.

Some of those parts (NOS) are available either from dealers that have or will go out of business or from boat wrecking "yards" etc.....either prospect means you'll pay $$$ for parts that have no warranty.

It sounds like the engine may be having a problem with the EFI system. If you cannot get it fixed, your only choice will be to either replace the EFI system with a different manifold and a carburetor (read=less power) OR replace the entire engine with a newer complete (EFI) engine.....

(which might be a good thing if you can buy the boat cheap enough. You should take this into consideration if you make an offer.)

I would probably take the others advice though and look elsewhere....

There are a LOT of boats out there, Mercruiser and Volvo powered that are still fully supported by their respective OE manufacturer and the aftermarket.

Good luck,

RIck

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're jumping into a fire! Do you really want to WORK on a boat all summer?

hey guys,

alright you convinced me boys i wont go with the OMC
So how about some opinions on a few choices
19' 1994 thunderbolt falcon bowrider with a 4.3 mercruiser
1997 gs185 glastron with a 4.3 mercruiser
1993 19' cobalt bowrider volvo 4.3 220hp dual prop
ill continue writing here unless anyone disagrees then i will start a new thread

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

hey guys,

ill continue writing here unless anyone disagrees then i will start a new thread

Not knowing the condition of each,

Cobalt is "Top Shelf" when it comes to boats.

I would look closely at the 1997 model only because it's the newest.

The 4.3L GM V-6 is one of the best marine engines made.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

hey guys,

Any one of those could be a great boat, Or.... Any one of those could be a pig in a poke.
The newest one is nearly 16 years old, and lot's of bad stuff can happen in 16 years or better. Your decision should be based on the over-all condition of the boats, not how great the boat was when it was new on the show room floor.

You might want to start a new thread on this question, and post pictures of the candidates if you have em.