How do I put the boot clamp on omc

gilliam

Recruit
I have a 77 reinell with 302 omc.
I bought the boat without a transom boot clamp but now that I have it, I can't seem to get it to fit right. I have it connected to the transom, just having trouble with the stern.

Boat shop told me it was all original equipment and it is the clamp for that boat. They won't tell me how to put it in but I can leave it there for 175 bucks and they will do it.

Can someone show me a picture or explain how to get the clamp on. I have it on the boot, I just can't get it to sit on the lip of the stern where I'm guessing it goes.

If you can show me a picture of how yours sits on it, that might help.

Thanks

cr2k

Captain
Re: How do I put the boot clamp on omc

Boot clamp goes on before the transom ring and screws. 5/16 1/4 drive swivel socket with extension helps do the trick. Make sure the boot and housing are clean and dry. It is a chore but doable.

southkogs

Staff member

... and just to be sure: take the sterndrive off. :) People do say they do this with the drive on all the time, but for a first timer: take your drive off.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

... and just to be sure: take the sterndrive off. :) People do say they do this with the drive on all the time, but for a first timer: take your drive off.

I would too. Drive comes off easily.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

You also ned to have enough stuff in the transom to hold the screws.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you glue the boot on to the stern first with some 3M-847 and leave it set up and then put the clamp on it makes it a lot eaisier. Then install the boot on the transom.

captk

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC always recommended that clamp on the intermediate housing to be installed "clean and dry" no glue and no sealer.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've always used the glue and never had a prob. That way you know it's in the correct position when you tighten the clamp. I've had to many boots slip out of position when installing the clamp.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I never used glue either.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I never used glue either.

Ditto! Just be sure the surface is clean. If you glue it and you have it a few degrees off, you will play he** getting the screw holes lined up with the transom screw holes. You do not want to have to twist the boot to line up with the transom holes.

When I removed my boot after 30 years, there was no glue on the flange and no glue on the transom. I never had a leak and I re-used the same boot.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I always lined up everything first, marked it and then glued it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

To each his own. The service manual isn't correct all the time and I'll still stick with the glue.