1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160, 3.0L OMC.....Fuel issue

witt20

Cadet
I just picked this up Saturday. I had no spark, did an ignition system tune up per the instructions that were posted on here and now have spark and engine fires when spraying starting fluid or pouring gas in carb.

So now no fuel in other words

I pulled the line from the tank and put it in a water bottle of gas and still nothing. The gas gauge read empty so I put 11 gallons in it (55 gal tank) and the gauge still reads empty.

Is there some sort of fuel sending unit or cutoff linked to the gauge? Where to start with this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 Bayliner Trophy 2160, 3.0L OMC.....Fuel issue

I don't think there is a fuel cut off. I'm having the same kind of problem, so I'm going from the tank replacing the hose to the pump changing all filters, then see if I'm getting any fuel at the carb I'm going to crank the engine with the line off at the carb to see if I'm getting any fuel to the carb. If all this works out and I'm still not getting any gas my next step will be to have the cab rebuilt. I don't know if the bottom of the pick up in the tank has a screen but while I'm replacing the hose I'm going to back flush to clean any debris out of the the pick up in the tank. If I'm getting gas to the carb I'm looking at the pump. If this doesn't work then I'll take it to a marina, that is my last resort especially this time of year just before Memorial Day weekend. Hope this helps I'm going tomorrow to work on mine - I have a 1988 350 4 bbl 260 hp with a Cobra drive.

JSMoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There's usually an anti-siphon valve where the fuel line comes out of the tank to the motor. They can corrode and get stuck where fuel won't pass. New rubber fuel lines; new filters; and a check/clean/replace on the anti-siphon valve might get you going.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

also if the boats been sitting could have a busted fuel pump, so testing with the line off at the carb ( let it squirt into a bottle ) is a good test, then yea.. once you get gas flowing to the carb, connect the line, turn the engine over a couple more times, to fill the carb. to test the carb I like to take off the flame arrestor, disconnect the throttle linkage so I can work the carb by hand and look into the carb ( engine NOT running or cranking ) and see if I see 2 squirter of gas when I move the throttle quickly ( this checks the accelerator pump in the carb - a little rubber plunger ) if I see a good strong squirt.. good.. if not.. Carb rebuild time.

If you havent done carb rebuilding at least once, there's a couple things in there that will trip you up, like the T bar and spring with the check ball under neath and maiking sure you get EVERY passage clean so it really helps to have some carb cleaner on hand (spray) and an air compressor.

witt20

Cadet

The last owner had the carb professionally rebuilt last spring. This year he couldnt get it to run and assumed it was due to lack of fire but had already decided he was selling it and didnt do anything else. The new points and cap kit and plugs brought the fire back. Could be a bad pump too. But the fact that the fuel gauge reads empty when I just put 50 bucks worth of gas in made me wonder if that could be related....I'll start with unhooking the fuel line at the carb and see if it squirts...keep the suggestions coming so I dont overlook something.

witt20

Cadet

I pulled the fuel line off the carb and turned it over, no gas.....I then pulled the hose that runs from the fuel filter to pump off the filter and stuck it directly in a bottle of gas, turned it over and no gas came out of the line....so I THINK this eliminates anything in the tank, check valve, or filters leaving the pump itself as Kainon said...anyone else concur with this? doesnt answer the gauge not working but everything else aside, pump no suckie

JSMoore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep. Could be the pump. But, don't rule out the anti-siphon valve either. If it is corroded shut, the best of pumps will not pull the gas out of the tank and through the lines. And, if it is partially blocked, it could cause poor performance at WOT. So, I would recommend a look at both.

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you're on to something. That's the way I'd go first.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

I pulled the fuel line off the carb and turned it over, no gas.....I then pulled the hose that runs from the fuel filter to pump off the filter and stuck it directly in a bottle of gas, turned it over and no gas came out of the line....so I THINK this eliminates anything in the tank, check valve, or filters leaving the pump itself as Kainon said...anyone else concur with this? doesnt answer the gauge not working but everything else aside, pump no suckie

yea, I didnt say was definately the pump, just one possibility in the chain, cant be forgotten.

pickup in the tank, anti-siphon fitting, tank line to fuel water separator ( could be letting in air which would not let the pump create a vacuum), clogged fuel/water separator, bad line to pump, bad pump

you weren't very clear take a hose that leads to the pump, put that in some fuel turn the engine over and see if that works

Fuel gauge not working has nothing to do with engine operation. to test turn the key on, touch the sender wire + to ground watch the gauge pin one way or the other, could be bad wire, or bad gauge. remove the sending unit and test the gauge with an OHM meter.

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have easy access to the tank, you can just unscrew the sending unit and move the lever to see if your gas gauge responds, if it doesn't, try replacing it.

witt20

Cadet

One thing that I thought I did make clear was that I filled a water bottle full of gas and put the line that goes directly into the pump in the bottle (so I unhooked the tank and canister fuel filter isolating the pump and lines to carb.

I pulled the pump and tried pumping it by hand and nothing, lubed it and poured water into it (priming it) then put the line in a can of water and pumped it by hand.. after a while it started pumping a little more and eventually pumped the can empty. I blew all water out, put it back in the boat and put gas in a squirt bottle and pushed fuel through the pump and up until it started dripping out of the line...I sucked on the fuel filter end of the line until gas started to flow and put it back on the pump....With the line unhooked from the carb i turned it over and gas was coming out. I hooked it back up to the carb and turned it over a few times and it started and ran very rough for about 15 seconds at about 1/3 throttle and stalled. It wouldnt turn over again but battery went weak and I may have flooded it so charged the battery over night, let it sit, and I'll pull the line and see if fuel comes out before I try to start it again...So the pump does work to some degree but not sure how much pressure it's pushing.

That's the latest...it did start for the first time, but still tinkering on it

witt20

Cadet

I think the check valve is ok. I could suck gas out of the tank, but when I tried to blow gas back into the tank it slammed shut

indybleck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking at the cheap manual I have it says that the pressure on 3.0L should be 3.5-6.0 psi, I don't have a set up to check mine but that is one way to figure out if your pump is iffy.

witt20

Cadet

So I talked to the last owner and he said the gauge has "been that way" and that the boat had about 20 gallons of fuel in it when I bought it....so old gas is also being a culprit here I think...Every day I start the engine up cold and it turns right over and starts and idles smoother and longer than the previous day (ran relatively smooth for about 90 seconds yesterday but hacked when giving it some throttle)

I'm going to fill a 2 liter bottle with fresh gas and a little carb cleaner and let it sip on that and see what she does.

witt20

Cadet

Ok the latest....I put a 20 oz bottle of high octane gas and after several start attempts and adjusting the carb screws it finally was running for about 3 or 4 minutes at 3/4 throttle to "clear her throat"

it cooled down a bit and we started it again and it idled for about 25 minutes. it then started to sputter and stalled. We checked it out and the battery barely would turn it over, and the temp gauge was at about 225 F.. so two things here, charging issue and cooling issue...but once we got her going, it sounded strong.