Omc conversion to volvo sx drive

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Omc conversion to volvo sx drive

Moving to OMC forum, it's not really related to saltwater fishing.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer

what type OMC ?this thread really needs pics

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I'll bet there's a question in there someplace......

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

We like pics of transplants like these. Alot of people ask questions about swaps like these and could probably learn from it

cloud 9

Recruit

Thinking about doing that to a Sea Ray..... How much work was it and what did it cost???

captnrockcod

Cadet

It really isn't that big of a deal, other than the cost.
I bought an online conversion kit, comes with almost everything needed (except a manual).
you have to mount an engine mounted water pump, which mounts easily,the hoses that came with the kit were helpful but not quite perfect. change the knuckle (adapter to Volvo) at rear of sterndrive,new shifter cable, again easy, then on to the trim ram limiters, you must take the trim ram apart and install trim ram limiters inside the trim rams, again not too big of deal other than making a special tool to take them apart.

I fish 20-30 miles from nearest boat launch and offshore 10- 20 miles,I could not trust the sei conversion kits although they are much cheaper, there is just no info about them, I can trust Volvo!

Any more questions?

captnrockcod

Cadet

No questions! just answers! I could not find much info on doing a swap like this on any forum, so now that I did it blind, I am glad to help fellow boaters on this topic>

Don S

It has been brought up here before, but not that often any more. Most people that replace the Cobra, normally opt for the Mercruiser conversion to the Alpha I Gen II drives, which is a LOT cheaper.

I have also posted this on a few threads where people wanted to change the drive to a DP.

Attachments

• OMC KC to Volvo DP Conversion .pdf
    286 KB · Views: 15

captnrockcod

Cadet

Yes this is the only cobra to volvo conversion on the web! and I have read this one through and through. It is for a 460 but there is not much info in this article either. most cobra's out there are 4cyl or the 5.0 or 5.7 which is what mine is.
I tried to find articles about the SEI conversion sounds good but MADE IN CHINA, 3 year warranty, but some good that does me when I am 65 miles from the boat launch!
Until the SEI drives are proven I will pay extra for Volvo.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

It has been brought up here before, but not that often any more. Most people that replace the Cobra, normally opt for the Mercruiser conversion to the Alpha I Gen II drives, which is a LOT cheaper.

I have also posted this on a few threads where people wanted to change the drive to a DP.

I recall this when you did it Don.. A blast from the past!

captnrockcod

Cadet

Hi Don
my conversion kit came with a crank mounted sea water pump therefore no bracket to make, no pulley or belt, just undo the 3 crank pulley bolts, and the centre crank bolt, slip the pump into place, put the new longer bolts in place, there is a stay that has 2 bolts as well, quite simple, and of course if your engine is running your pump is turning, no belt to slip or break!

cloud 9

Recruit

So you kept your original engine? This is too good to be true!!!?..I was prepared to buy a new engine. You need to give me the web site where I can get this conversion and drive. Please post some pictures.

Don S

Cloud9, it would be a really good idea to start a new thread about converting your boat to the SX type drive. Otherwise this thread will get really confussed about who is asking or answering what question. Especially if two people tried to ask how to do it in this same thread.
You will also need to post what engine you now have, as there are different kits for different engines.

captnrockcod

Cadet

So you kept your original engine? This is too good to be true!!!?..I was prepared to buy a new engine. You need to give me the web site where I can get this conversion and drive. Please post some pictures.
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/cobraconversion.htm
The most important part is the adapter plate Part #3857974 this piece is expensive
all other parts are not so expensive, all of the parts can be aquired from your local volvo dealer,

View attachment 109495