Delco EST Voyager Distributor Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdgt03

Seaman Apprentice
On the advice of Don, I purchased the Delco EST Voyager distributor kit from http://www.michiganmotorz.com/delco-voyager-marine-electronic-distributor-p-121.html

The removal and installation of the distributor was easy. The old one was in and it was set at TDC on #1. A bit of confusion ensued when putting in the new one because of where #1 on the cap will be. #1 was at about 6 o-clock on the old. It is at about 12 0-clock on the new. The confusion was because I did not know what the direction of the wiring plugs on the new distributor were supposed to go. I initially thought they would point to the side. Of course I should have just checked the bottom of the distributor shaft because there is a slot in it so it can only go two directions. I put mine in so the wiring plugs would face the front instead of the back. I just figured this would be easier to work with.

In order to make this work you have to cut wires and disconnect wires and splice wires. This caused me some trepidation for obvious reasons. I took my time and made sure I was cutting the right ones. The OMC manual helped with this because there is a resistor wire running from the alternator to the coil. The manual tells you the color of the wire. I had to peal back some of the tape to see the "real" color because of fading. This resistor wire must be removed/disconnected. The new EST needs 12 volts. The resistor wire knocked the voltage down on mine to the low 11's. The instructions are very specific about this and there are cautions all over the instruction manual about it.

If you are going to do this conversion I suggest you read the manual thoroughly and repeatedly. You will need butt end connectors, a 2amp inline fuse and holder, ring connector, dielectric grease, shrink wrap, wire ties, and electrical tape, along with a compliment of tools.

I am still in the process of connecting all the wires. I have been thwarted by rain for the last two days, and tomorrow is supposed to be worse.

I do have a question.

You have to have a power source for the blue wire from the shift interupt that will come on with the ignition in the "on" position. Can I run this from the purple wire from the positive side of the coil? The interupt cuts the ground part of the circuit to "stall" the motor briefly, right? Is there another power source keyed to the ignition that would be better to tap into?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Delco EST Voyager Distributor Install

Can you scan and send me copies of the instructions? Full size? If so, I can use them to help clarify things for others when/if they convert to the EST. I will PM you my email address.

xdgt03

Seaman Apprentice

i have pics of the instructions that are pretty good. Send me your email and i'll send em to ya.

Don S

Check your PM's

Don S

You have to have a power source for the blue wire from the shift interupt that will come on with the ignition in the "on" position. Can I run this from the purple wire from the positive side of the coil?
Yes

The interupt cuts the ground part of the circuit to "stall" the motor briefly, right?
No, the EST setup does not GROUND anything. That was how the old system worked, not the EST.

Is there another power source keyed to the ignition that would be better to tap into?
Not really that familiar with the OMC wiring in real life, but hooking both wires that need 12V at the same location is not a problem.

PS: I did get the instructions. Thanks.

xdgt03

Seaman Apprentice

It says to ground the black wire to the engine. Which side of the black wire gets grounded. The side to the interupt or the side to the esa? I was thinking the side to the esa

Don S

It says to ground the black wire to the engine.
Where did it say that? At one point is says cut wire B and connect the shift interrupt wire on the engine, but nothing says to ground.

With all their different pictures and sections in the OEM instructions, here is how the system needs hooked up in the end.
Both wires labeled A can be hooked to the same place.
NOTHING goes to ground.

attachment.php

Attachments

• OMC Shift Int EST.jpg
    OMC Shift Int EST.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 15

xdgt03

Seaman Apprentice

On the bottom of the last page with the picture (20), underneath it says to cut the blue wire and run to 12 volt power source with a 2amp fuse and to cut the black wire and ground to engine.

Don S

Read it again. It does not say ground anywhere in it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 9

xdgt03

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. The instructions are a bit confusing when it comes to the wiring. This is because the diagrams and the wording on 2 different pages are not consistent. However, I've got it hooked up and everything seems to be working right. The shift interupt is working. The idle and timing are set. Itt is not in the water tho and the real test will come tomorrow.

Below is a diagram from the manual that shows what I did and where I spliced. This was based upon the instruction manual that came with the kit. I think it could have been done more simply but I'm not totally certain of that. Maybe someone else can sort it out. For some reason my additions to the wiring diagram would not be any other color than gray so it is sort of tough to distinguish what I added. I tried it both in Photoshop and Paint and both were the same.

I also have a question with a pic after that.
1ESTWiringOMCManual.jpg

What does "EXC" stand for on Motorola alternator? What is the red/purple wire for? It was connected to the coil. I removed it because it was reading 11.2 volts and I thought it might be a resistor. What is it for?
OMCManual_Page_127.jpg

Don S

The first picture is way to small for me to read what you did. Email it to me.
I did take your wiring diagram and removed the wiring that is not necessary for the EST distributor.

attachment.php

EXC stands for Excite.

Attachments

• Wiring left.jpg
    Wiring left.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 7

Don S

I may have to try to put the EST into that picture. That might be cool.

Don S

Here is what your wiring probably looks like if it works.

attachment.php

Attachments

• OMC wiring.jpg
    OMC wiring.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 13

xdgt03

Seaman Apprentice

Yes. That is the way it is wired but there were other wires that were cut to eliminate the overload switch and esa that were cut more than needed I believe and made it confusing. There is a fuse in line on the purple wire to the coil you may want to add to the diagram.

Also, what is "excite" mean? What does it do? It was run to the + side of the coil.

I'll send you the pic.

Don S

Using the instructions from the distributor kit just eliminates a lot of long runs, and keeps some of the connectors. I really didn't find their instructions that difficult to follow.

xdgt03

Seaman Apprentice

It probably helps if you have.ot of experience with boats. These switches, their functions, and their relationships to each other is all new to me. The instructions use 2 different terms for a function (shift interupt/shift cutout), and on page 3 under the shift interupt wiring instructions differ from diagram 20. That is why I believe there is a more simple way to install this. Plus it does not specify where to tap for 12v but it seems rather obvious (now) that everyone on all applicatioNs should tap the "purple wire" since that is the source wire on all applications this est will fit.

For as simple as it turned out to be the instructions were confusing enough to make me "waste" a lot of time wondering what was what and asking "why"?

I think with the addition of your wiring diagram people in the future will be able to do this conversion much quicker than I did mine. I did have to take several breaks because of rain tho.

bwporter

Cadet

It probably helps if you have.ot of experience with boats. These switches, their functions, and their relationships to each other is all new to me. The instructions use 2 different terms for a function (shift interupt/shift cutout), and on page 3 under the shift interupt wiring instructions differ from diagram 20. That is why I believe there is a more simple way to install this. Plus it does not specify where to tap for 12v but it seems rather obvious (now) that everyone on all applicatioNs should tap the "purple wire" since that is the source wire on all applications this est will fit.

For as simple as it turned out to be the instructions were confusing enough to make me "waste" a lot of time wondering what was what and asking "why"?

I think with the addition of your wiring diagram people in the future will be able to do this conversion much quicker than I did mine. I did have to take several breaks because of rain tho.

I will be doing this conversion this weekend, it seems fairly straight forward however Im wondering if you have any advice to share?

xdgt03

Seaman Apprentice

I guess the biggest advice is to have everything mapped out in your head and know what wires you are going to cut before you cut.

I found that it would be extra difficult to solder the connections, though I think that would be best rather than using the crimp connectors. They have connectors that are for marine applications that have heat shrink, but you don't have to use those if you buy shrink tube.

I use dielectric grease on every electrical connection I make no matter if it is on my boat, car, or home. I recommend that here.

Get some electrical tape and wire ties.

If you have the OMC with the Motorola alternator there is probably a red/purple wire that runs to EXC. No matter what alternator you have you will have an EXC wire that probably goes to your coil. Leave this connected to the alternator and tap it into the 12v source you use for the coil.

That's all I can think of for now.

BTW, The boat is running better than ever. It used to hesitate coming out of the hole but no more. Also, there always seemed to be some rpm where it didn't run right. It's perfect throughout now. You will be very happy I think.

bwporter

Cadet

I got the EST kit installed today, fresh oil change, new plugs and a fuel filter. Boat is running excellent in the driveway, got the timing set and it goes in the water tomorrow. I will monitor my total timing under load when running the boat tomorrow, make adjustments as needed and have a great day boating and fishing. Ill post further feedback regarding the installation and my first day in the water tomorrow.

Thanks to all how posted information to this thread, it certainly helped with my install.

The Delco EST electronic ignition kit from Michigan Motors is highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.