OMC STERN DRIVE DISASSEMBLY

coach17

Cadet
I HAVE A 1986 3.0 LTR OMC COBRA I/O ON A 1986 FOURWINNS 160 FREEDOM. I HAVE A CLUNK IN THE DRIVE<br />THIS ONLY HAPPENS SPORADICALLY. I HAVE BEEN ON THE FUNKOPOLIS SITE BUT I CAN'T FIND OUT HOW TO DROP THE BOTTOM END ON THE DRIVE. ANY HINTS - IS THIS SOMETHING I SHOULD BE DOING ?

ndemge

Commander
Re: OMC STERN DRIVE DISASSEMBLY

capslock.jpg
<br /><br />But Seriously....<br />Welcome to the board :)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Well the first thing you should be doing is finding a marine mechanic who knows OMC Cobras, fixing that is not a DIY project

coach17

Cadet

Thanks for the quick responses. I am on my way to a mechanic now.Caps lock is a habit I am trying to quit.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

The other thing that you should do is get an OMC shop manual, they are still available from Evinrude/Johnson dealers and are very detailed, they explain all the systems of the engine and sterndrive.<br />Just make sure the mech knows OMCs, what works on a Merc does not work on them.<br />For example when changing the gear oil you drain from the bottom but but you don't fill from the bottom, you fill from the hole near the caviation plate. Doing it like on a Merc (bottom) does not put in enough gear oil and you would ruin the upper gears right away.<br />The manual details all this stuff nicely.

coach17

Cadet

Thanks Lou, the mechanic I took it to is highly recommended by fellow boaters. The manual is the next thing on my list.