Setting timing on OMC Cobra 3.0L

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My manual says to set time at TDC when idling in forward gear at 600 RPM. Well thats hard to do on the muffs in the driveway.... 600rpm sounds awfully low also...??<br /><br />What should the idle be in neutral and what should the timing be set to in at this RPM? timing advances with rpm so I'm not sure....<br />thanks in advance!!!

Striper Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Setting timing on OMC Cobra 3.0L

I should have mentioned that I have two conflicting sources for timing settings, one says TDC the other says 4 degrees Before TDC....both are at idle ? I'm not sure if thats idle in forward gear or neutral.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Setting timing on OMC Cobra 3.0L

The two timing settings are for different fuels. 4 degrees is only if you are going to run 89 octane or higher. TDC or 1 degree btdc is for 87 octane. <br /><br />I set mine at 600Rpm in neutral. 600RPM is 600RPM, the weights will be so far advanced. Now you will have to adjust the idle because when you shift into gear in the water you will likely stall. But don't worry, once you get the in-water idle to 600RPM in gear, the timing will be the same as it was when you set it on land. I find that with my boat, 900-1000rpm in neutral translates to 600-700 rpm in the water in gear. Regardless of how you set the timing, the important part is that it's at or very near 600 rpm when you set it.