1987 4.3 Edelbrock 2111 swap

1987 searay Edelbrock 2111 swap
+So long story short I bought a boat that ended up having been frozen decided to swap in a car engine blah blah blah.. I ended up having to go with an edlbrock intake and carb because the stock intake had a fitament issue with the roller cam again blah blah
The problem I am having is with the alternator having a issue with the raised from stock water neck. It should be an issue any une with a late 80's boat who has done an ed swap would have ran into. can any one give me a work around?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, you mean you have a 4.3 long block you moved all your marine accessories to, including a cam, because the cam for a car has too much over-lap for a marine application and you will suffer reversion

or did you take a 4.3 out of a car as-is and drop into your boat, creating a bomb?

boat accessories are different than car accessories. every marine rotating electrical has a spark suppressing screen to prevent explosions. the marine fuel systems are design to fail safe and simply make the motor run bad vs automotive fuel systems are designed to dump fuel externally

marine engines are nothing more than truck (not car) long-blocks with marine head gaskets, brass core plugs, a marine cam profile, a marine circulating water pump and then all the marine accessory drives and marine fuel system and marine rotating electrics

Not that it maters to my problem with the water neck but I got an engine out of a 1992 s10 blazer and had it built with a marine kit and cam. Im using all the stuff but new from the boat The blazer had a slightly higher HP raying then other engines and it is different then the 87 marine engine in that it has a roller cam again the intake stock wouldnt work so I was forced to go with the Edelbrock and even it needed to be slightly modified to clear the roller cam cover in the valley.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the 92 motor is 2 generations newer than the 87. yes, all 4.3's got roller cams in 1988. the 1992 should also be a balance shaft engine if it came out of the blazer and that may be what you were hitting did you install marine head gaskets and brass core plugs?

also no to balance shaft i removed the cover and it just keeps the lifters in line

Last edited:
So what I'm reaching the conclusion is I'm gonna have to get vortec heads and a marine intake. I just want to put this out there on the internet so if someone searches they will find that they should not consider using the Edelbrock 2111intake as a solution. IT WON'T work. more money on a boat i thought ran.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
why do you think you need vortec heads? your Edelbrock intake is for non-vortec heads

your 1988 boat did not have vortec heads. the vortec heads did not come out until 1996

post pictures of the issues you are running into, we can help.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/marine_carburetors/parts/0-80552

The Edelbrock 2111 is for the pre-vortec engine but won't fit with the top mount alternator that OMC used, it will only work with a bottom mount alternator. The alternator will interfere with the thermostat housing from what I can see....
If you need an intake for a pre-vortec V6 your only choice if keeping it rigged an OMC are the cast iron intakes used by Merc, OMC and Volvo. If you look on ebay decent condition ones come up from time to time. Get a 4bbl intake and you can use a Quadrajet, Holley or Edelbrock (might have to modify the fuel line to get it to fit or move the relays on the shift bracket).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14095285-G...347795?hash=item2d14413bd3:g:7k4AAOSwFKlfKs-4

example, this one looks good, water port not excessively rusted...

The problem I have is this engine has a roller cam and the lifter guide cover is to high in the valley for the non vortec manifold to work. The reason I went with the ed manifold is it would clear that guide cover. Im looking at possibility of relocating the alternator if you all know of a year it was mounted farther away if you could tell me that would be great. vbelt. Then I'll find the brackets I'll take a pick and post it
+

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
you sure, mine also has the roller cam, same guide and I use the pre-vortec 4bbl intake.
if you don't have the balance shaft it should work!

photo284489.jpgphoto321247.jpg

The guy I got it from told me it was a unique moto. Should have bailed right there I cant remembeer the exact s10 he said it came out of. He had it for some rat rod project he was doing. Its non balance shaft roller cam

I took the cover off and there want a shaft it looked like it held the lifters in place but i just saw a balance shaft motor and it looked similar so that might be the problem.+

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
a mystery...post up a pic of what yours looks like with the intake off. Same as mine or not?

I looked at pix of the Edlebrock 2111 including the underside and it has the exhaust crossover on the underside of the manifold but not the tin baffle that the OE manifolds have. I think that tin baffle is to keep the oil from burning off on the hot cross over, which gets pretty hot actually, enough to burn the paint off on some engines. That is needed for the divorced choke on the Rochester carb applications.

it barely fit. I actually had to shave a bit off the crossover. I dont have pics or if I did cant remember what I did with them. I have my adult son helping (doing most of the work) and he is slow. I got the engine baack from the builder 18 months ago. Now I kinda took it over so we can get it done

so i found the brackets on ebay used 45 bucks they are part numbers 15082 t and 15083 t just in case someone else searches