2.3 Ford OMC stalling

Boaternick90

Recruit
Hello fellow boating buddies,

I just need a little help I bought a beautiful 1989 Thundercraft 162LS with a 2.3 Ford OMC motor.

i had it out on the water yesterday and we’ll let’s just say it doesn’t like to go slow. If I have it in the no wake zone trying to coast through it shuts off and doesn’t like to be restarted. I got towed out into the main lake by my buddy and it had time to cool down I guess because it started right up fine and when you’re out playing around it responds well. Then if I bring it back to cruise around or shut it off and try to start it again it’ll be hard starting. Once it cools down it’ll start up again and run fine at high speed. I have been ready about the electronic ignition upgrades would this be a good idea instead of playing around with points and condenser and all that?

thank you
Nick

kenny nunez

Captain
If you were having a ignition problem the engine would not run as you describe. From your description your carburetor needs some work.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, what maintenance have you done since you bought your boat that has had all the service neglected for the past 10 years

service your points and the remainder of the ignition system
service your fuel system (this includes the carburetor rebuild you need)
service your cooling system
service your drive system