OMC 3.0 to Volvo Penta 275

frshwatrboat

Recruit
Completely new to the whole owning a boat scene. Picked up two Bayliners. One is a 1987 and the other is an 86.

87 is in almost great condition, was in the water last in 2018 and has a OMC 3.0 and somebody stole the outdrive on it from the previous owner. 86 has a Volvo Penta 275 and has the whole drivetrain but needs a lot of work cosmetic wise.

Previous owner said he was going to use the outdrive from the 86 with the Volvo and put on the 87 OMC but completely different setup/brackets. I figure I’m SOL on what he was planning on doing, so I’m just wondering what my options are?

Swap the Volvo into the OMC boat and do what I need to do with the transom or just find a used outdrive for the OMC?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy
If your sure the VP drive is in good shape
As a non-expert with OMC, I would say place the VP transom assembly and drive to the 87. Then look at the two motors and I would guess they should both bolt up to the drive, may need to swap some parts

Maybe Scott Danforth or kenny nunez may have so ideas

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, check the boat for rot prior to doing anything. mid 80's bayliners started to rot the day they were delivered. it guaranteed that unless the hull was restored, you have soft transom and stringers

expect to pay $3000 for a hull restoration (doing the work yourself)

the VP will require a large cut-out vs the small key-hole in the OMC transom (copy of mercruiser cut-out). can you do it..... yes, should you, that is between you and your significant other as you will need to tear both boats apart, completely transfer dimensions from the transom with the big hole to the other transom, then change over the complete driveline (pulley to prop) and the controls and gauges. this is not a weekends worth of work, this would have two torn apart boats at the same time for about 3 weekends..... this is where you need blessing from the significant other

the 275 drive has its own issues, and hopefully the tilt mechanism is still working.

best bet is get your money back from the seller if you can

if that is not an option, sell the parts to re-coup your money and buy a newer boat.......or if you love the boat, you can get an SEI kit to put an SEI drive on your cobra trans shield, sell the other boat and parts to partially fund that, and still sink the money into restoring the hull.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep, there is no easy way to adapt a V/P 275 to the standard OMC Cobra/Merc/Volvo SX keyhole. Another option albeit pricey is to convert your Cobra to a Volvo SX by changing the pivot housing, adding an engine mounted raw water pump, and a few other details. While the SEI conversion to the Alpha sounds attractive, SEI drives have a mixed rep, I know for the price it can't be beat though. If I had a choice I'd part out the other boat sell off all the V/P 275 stuff and go back with something much more supported in the industry (Volvo SX) if you want to use the boat and not have to search for OMC parts and techs to work on it. I can do my own but if I needed a new drive, I'd be seriously thinking of converting to the SX to get away from the diminishing OMC parts supply issue once and for all. It's a shame really because this Cobra has been VERY GOOD To me with very few repairs.
I've priced out replacing the Cobra with another Cobra when the time comes vs the SX conversion, the conversion is a good 2 grand more at least depending on how you buy it but again, you get away from the parts/service issue and the boat will be a lot easier to sell when the time comes. For me just bolting up another Cobra is easy + cheaper because I know the whole shift system etc at this point but there are other considerations....