1895 rinker stalling and tough starting back up

Lbrown13

Cadet
Got an omc 3.0 I/o. After sitting for some time it starts great, like after it sits all week and then I take it out on the weekend. It idles just a bit roughly but nothing unexpected for an old motor. However, after I get it up to operating temp and run for a while, if I put it back in neutral or even down to just idle speed it dies. Then it’s a pain to start back up. I can get it running again after cranking on it for a while of letting the blower run and giving it a lot of throttle (not in gear obviously). I’m not sure if it’s got anything to do with the fact that I replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one or not. It seems to keep up just fine as full throttle. I also had to replace the blower with a little bit stronger one. It almost seems like it’s not getting enough cool air into the engine compartment also, therefore boiling all the fuel out of the carb. It seems to get pretty warm in the compartment and I can definitely smell the fumes from the engine while driving, but also to be somewhat expected with an older boat. My first thought was to cut a hole and put another vent right on the front of the doghouse but being as the boat wasn’t designed with one I don’t think that would be the right fix. Also, the throttle lever is pretty touchy but again nothing I wouldn’t expect from an older boat. Has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condenser, points, coil.

any help, info, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
can get it running again after cranking on it for a while of letting the blower run and giving it a lot of throttle

replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one or not

You need some carb work or your your fuel pump has to much pressure. Most likely the carb needs a rebuild

It needs so much throttle because its flooding, and this is also the reason it runs best at high rpm.

Lbrown13

Cadet
The electric fuel pump I put on says between 5 and 9 psi. Would that be too much pressure?