Is there a way to trim Omc 140 manually?

77starcraft

Recruit
I've got a 1977? Starcraft boat with a omc 140 sterndrive.
it has the electric motor for the trim(the one that lifts the whole engine)

I've cleaned the contacts on the solenoids and they still just click. When using jumper cables directly to the terminal it sparks, so I assume the motor has failed as I've checked the wires,

Is there any way to manually trim the engine up, and maybe leave it there so I can actually drive the boat and get on plane until I get a new motor or repair this one?

Thanks.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard.

That's not trim. On that boat ('77 would be a Stringer stern drive), the motor in the back is the tilt motor. If your boat has trim, it's at the front of the engine. Good chance the motor needs cleaned or rebuilt. You can replace them if you want a new one.

You can do some boating by manually raising and lowering the drive. You have to remove the quadrant gear and either put it back on when the drive is down or drive it with the gear off. If you opt to drive with the gear off - be careful. Going in reverse, and coming off plane the drive will lift and pivot up. Depending on how you handle the boat, you could slam the drive back down. While not necessarily a killer, it sure isn't helping that ole' vintage unit.

77starcraft

Recruit
Yes, I'm talking the trim at the front of the engine that raises the whole engine. The tilt works fine.

I was just curious if the motor comes off and I could manually raise the engine to a mid way point to get some use until I can get a motor or rebuild this one.

Last edited:

kenny nunez

Captain
With the motor removed there is nothing that will retain the worm gear that drives the lift gear. Unbolt the front lag screws and block the engine up, remove the complete mount and spin the cross bracket to the midway point and reinstall.
leave the motor in place until you get the new one.

Last edited: