1988 Bayliner OMC 2.3 Cobra won't go fast

Bandius

Recruit
Hi,
I inherited a 1988 Bayliner 2.3 from my father in law who bought it new at a boat show 32 years ago.

I tested engine out of water and it sounds great.
I put it in the water and it won't go fast. It won't rev much past 2000rpms.

I took it out and checked the stock prop and it looked fine.
I took it off and found some fishing line on the shaft under the spacer. Could this be the problem?

Also I change the carb linkage a bit on the water trying a couple of different settings on the throttle thinking this might be the issue to no avail. I even just took off the linkage and throttled manually while wife drove and that did not work either.

Thanks for any help. Going back out today and want to feel the wind in my hair.

Bandius

Recruit
[No message]

Attachments

• photo334070.jpg
    photo334070.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo334071.jpg
    photo334071.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 0

kenny nunez

Captain
Start with the fuel system. Remove the suction tube from the tank and check if there is a small filter inside the tube. If so, remove it. Replace the canister filter also. There also may be blocked passages in the carburetor. A boat that old is bound to have fuel problems. The fuel hose from the tank to the engine should also be replaced. Replacing the points and condenser plus the spark plugs, use only genuine marine ignition parts. OMC replacement parts are still available from Crowley Marine sales and Sierra . Keep us posted, good luck

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
As Kenny stated, go thru the fuel system......

The 2.3 wasnt a power house

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How much weight are you carrying? It's powered by a 4 banger & it won't break any speed records.