No Water To Engine

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
I have an OMC sterndrive on a 1978 Cruisers Yachts Gran Bateau. When trying to start the engine with the intake cooling water hose disconnected from the stern drive there is no water being pumped out of the stern drive hose nipple. Is this normal and does the water begin to pump when the engine starts or is there an impeller issue? The boat is not in the water so I have a set of "Rabbit Ears" connected to the stern drive for a water supply.
Thank you so much for your help.

kenny nunez

Captain
With the Rabbit ears water should come up through the drive unit. When was the last time the boat was used and was there a heating issue?

Ristin

Seaman
I have a 1984 model year stringer 800. I don’t know if the 1978 models are similar but here’s something I learned the hard way.
I use a rectangular shaped water muff. There is a small hole on the right side just forward (towards the transom) from the water intake. If that hole gets covered by the muffs I won’t get any water up to the engine even when the engine is running.

762D2250-5E76-4C0F-98CB-8896DE5D5368.jpeg

Attachments

• 762D2250-5E76-4C0F-98CB-8896DE5D5368.jpeg
    762D2250-5E76-4C0F-98CB-8896DE5D5368.jpeg
    596.9 KB · Views: 0

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
The last time the boat ran was about 8 years ago. No heating issues then according to the previous owner. I just finished taking separating the top and bottom halves of the lower gear case. There was no blockage whatsoever. I could shine a light into the water pick ups on either side and look down inside the lower half and see the light clearly. When I re-assembled everything, I made sure to follow all the directions in the manual.
As for the small hole ahead of the water intakes, I do recall seeing one of these on either side of the bottom half of the gear case just ahead of the water intakes exactly as in your picture. One of these holes was almost completely plugged shut and the other one had to be opened with a stiff piece wire. I'll try tomorrow and make sure the rectangular muffs don't cover the 2 small holes.
I'll let you all know how I make out.
Thanks so much for your input and ideas. I really appreciate it.

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
Hello:
I just connected the rabbit ears to the lower gear case directly over the water intake holes on either side. I have the lower gear case connected to the exhaust housing and the unit is sitting vertical. When I turn on the water, water shoots out of the 1 hole close to the water intakes. When I look down the exhaust housing into the lower gear case, I can see water coming up around the drive shaft housing but ALSO inside the drive shaft housing where the drive shaft and bearings are located. I don't know for certain but I wouldn't think any water should be coming up through that drive shaft housing.
Any ideas, thoughts, or information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

kenny nunez

Captain
Water comes up through the cavity of the swivel bearing where the shaft comes through. Since the drive is in the vertical position slowly pour water into the swivel bearing and watch where the water comes out, it will leave through the water intake grill. There is a good chance That the water pump impeller is the problem. Try to get a genuine OMC service manual to work on the drive and not one of those “bootleg” manuals.

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
Thanks for getting back to me so soon. Are you saying that normally water should enter the water intake screens on either side of the lower housing and come up through the swivel bearing housing? I just poured about 1 quart of water in the swivel bearing housing and after about 1 1/2 pints were poured, water started coming out of the water intake screen areas on either side. Also, to make sure all the water was out of the swivel bearing area, i turned the unit upside down and some ran out of the swivel bearing area, not very fast since the drive shaft, spacers, etc. are still in there and there is little room for water to enter or leave very quickly. However, a lot of water ran out of the shift cable housing.
As for a manual, I have an OMC service manual that came with the boat and it is very helpful. I am just confused about water coming up through the swivel bearing area but most ran out of the shift cable housing area since I have the shift cable housing cover off.
As for the impeller, I just installed a new impeller. The old housing and top were in very good condition and the impeller looked good too except the arms were shaped permanently from being bent inside the housing. I made certain the new impeller arms were bent in the correct direction. I also applied a thin layer of grease to the walls of the housing and ends of the impeller.
Sorry to be such a pain in the butt with this. It is just that I do not know what to try next.
Again, thanks so very much.

kenny nunez

Captain
Did you seal the impeller housing with some #2 Permatex? Are you sure that the 1/2 moon key did not fall out of the impeller ,also is the stainless steel plate mounted correctly? Get a piece of hose that is large enough to slip over the stainless water pump cover where the cover fits in the swivel bearing and rig up something so that you can fit a garden hose into the larger hose so that you can clamp it all together, then try running the engine, this should get water to feed the engine. Just try this and let me know.

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
Thanks again.
Yes I did seal the impeller housing with Permatex #2. I also was really careful when installing the 1/2 moon hey in the impeller shaft. As for the stainless steel cover, it was mounted with the correct side facing the impeller and the word "TOP" stamped into the cover is at the top. I will try setting up a rig as you suggested. I hesitate to start the engine without being certain there is water running to it. If I do as you suggest and just turn the engine over, I should get some water coming out of the hose nipple at the top of the intermediate drive, correct? Or does the engine have to be running to gat any water to the engine? If water comes out of the nipple after doing as you suggest, should I reassemble everything and try placing the entire drive assembly in a tank of water with the water level up to where it would normally be when the boat is in the water or are the 2 water muffs enough?
I'll let you know as soon as I try your suggestion. Thanks again for all your help and ideas. I really appreciate it.

kenny nunez

Captain
When the drive is assembled and submerged also have the flush out on the drive.
With the set up I suggested you should get water if you turn the engine over a few times. If water comes up through the intermediate then go ahead and assemble the drive and try it out. Good luck

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
Sorry but I don't know what you mean by have the flush out on the drive. I assume after assembling the drive, water will not come up though the swivel bearing, correct? Finally, is it better to submerge the drive instead of using the muffs to test it? I understand submerging the drive will fill all cavities with water that should have water whereas using the muffs you are trying to replace any water that comes out the exhaust etc. with just the small inlet screens on either side.
Thanks so much. I really appreciate your time and work.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When you replaced the impeller, how were the driveshaft splines?

kenny nunez

Captain
By having the flush out on it will keep exhaust gas from re entering the in coming water while the unit is submerged in a tub.

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
The impeller drive shaft splines were like new. In fact, the drive shaft looked new.
As for the flush out being on, I'm not familiar with how to do this. Please explain. Thanks again

kenny nunez

Captain
By having the flush on it will ensure a water supply. There is no way to submerge the drive in a tub compared to when the boat is in the water.

kenny nunez

Captain
It is the “ear muff” type that fits over the intake grill connected to a garden hose, by having it on while the drive is in the tub of water it will ensure a water supply without any exhaust gas. If there is a launch close then just back the boat down and run it .

GRANBATEAU

Cadet
I do not have a launch close by. As for the flush, I did try that and not enough water gets to the impeller since most of it goes out the exhaust hole and into the intermediate unit. I did convert the port side pivot cap cover to a flush adapter. I plan on running a garden hose through it to ensure enough water reaches the engine while it is runnung. Thanks