Swapping upper gearcase in 1986 Ebbtide Montego

samocamo123

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 Ebbtide Montego with the 302STHRCOM engine and my upper gearcase had a bearing explode throwing metal throughout. Luckily, I found a upper gearcase, lower unit, and intermediate housing on craigslist bundled for only 400$. However, they appear to be from an earlier electric shift model. Is it possible for me to convert my boat to use these parts? if so, what would the procedure be?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It might be possible, but it's also a severe step backwards,......

The electric shift is the worst of the stringer drives,.....

southkogs

Staff member
If the upper is the correct gear ratio, then it may work for you. Lower isn't going to work for your boat.

Steering will come into play if you have tru-course. Some of the older electric shifts didn't have the necessary pieces for tru-course, so you'll have to know if the steering will work together.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Keep looking ! That's going backwards big time .

i did the exact opposite , electric to mechanical . Couldn't be happier

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ Yes. Definitely don't convert to electric shift.

But the upper (fitting the qualifications above) won't effect the shift.

samocamo123

Seaman Apprentice
If the upper is the correct gear ratio, then it may work for you. Lower isn't going to work for your boat.

Steering will come into play if you have tru-course. Some of the older electric shifts didn't have the necessary pieces for tru-course, so you'll have to know if the steering will work together.

Does that mean, assuming it's the correct gear ratio, I can use the upper gearcase and still retain my mechanical shift? Also, if the new upper doesn't have the correct pieces for tru-course, would it be possible to rob these pieces off of my old upper and convert it to work with tru-course?

southkogs

Staff member
I believe yes on the gearcase - as long as the ratio is the same, they should swap. In terms of the steering, I don't know. I never converted over. I know the steering gear can be accessed, but I don't know what it takes for the rest of the system.

kenny nunez , Lou C or Redrig do you guys know?

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
The upper will swap right over with zero problems assuming the gear ratio is close .

Steering wise , all you will have to do is move the tru course internal parts into the new upper . It's easy and they are all right in the top of the upper and easily accessible . 1 gear and 1 shaft iirc , you'll want to get a new seal there as well.