Omc electric shift throttle control box

shughes12

Seaman Apprentice
I have a late 70s/ early 80s omc sterndrive and the switch in my throttle control box is shot and finding the same one is proving to be difficult... especially in Canada. Can I use any electric shift control box instead? Thanks

kenny nunez

Captain
OMC electric shift control boxes were used on outboards as well and were in production starting in the early 60s. Some had push button shift also. If you find one with the ignition switch mounted on it that can be also used.
Out board switches do not have a neutral start lock out but can be used, You will just have to be careful not to start the boat while it is in gear.
The outboard control boxes that came with the early model thru hub exhaust sometime from 69- 71 were electric shift but will not work on an OMC stern drive.
If you find a switch or used box check the switch with an ohm meter, purple or red is the supply green for go and blue for back up and if there are 2 extra wires those are the neutral lock out.
Can you post a picture of your control box?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
confirm your year. the sterndrive went from electric shift to hydro-mechanical in 78 to mechanical shift in 82

shughes12

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the info. Currently I'm at work. I will take a picture when I get home

southkogs

Staff member
Look on your engine. Somewhere there's a tag that tells you the model of your unit. Mine was on an engine mount, port side toward the stern.

southkogs

Staff member
89 3L is a black drive with rams. Is that what. you have? VERY different than the electric shift.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
If your control unit is identical to the one in your first link , then you definitely have an electric shift , as I had the exact one for my electric shift .

your second link is for a mechanical shifting unit , no good to you .

take a pic of your outdrive so there is no guessing

shughes12

Seaman Apprentice
White surface mount box?

I didn't have 12V in forward or reverse. But if I hooked it back up to the toggle switch I did get 12V

It wont let me upload the pictures I took so I added them to Google drive. Hopefully that works to view them. Here is the link. I also added pictures of an evinrude control box that I have taken apart wondering if it will work

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...4viu_6M1ZUR3ub

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
We're having forum trouble with photos right now. Try option 1 from the photo tutorial.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does the exhaust come out the center of the propeller , yes or no ?-----Is there a big black plastic cap that holds the pin and the propeller on the propshaft ??

kenny nunez

Captain
He has an electric shift and they all had the black plastic cover that retained the drive pin. There never was a through hub electric shift that was a stern drive model.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am well versed in these things !!!-----I am simply trying to help the confused OP to try and confirm / identify what he has.