oil an water OMC cobra 3.0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... Water in the gimbel, could be a ripped bellows, or the boat was flooded,......

Water in the oil is usually from a freeze cracked block,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when was the last time you did the annual drive service?
how did you winterize?

Did oil change and was good for 2 outings, and yes i am taking on water bad. I have it apart and gonna seal hose at gimbell bearing and other end was not sealed. As for winterizing i just got boat used 2 weeks ago. What cause's boat to take on water ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a few of the common reasons a boat will take on water

rotten transom
ripped bellows
cracked block
corroded down pipe

a list of common reasons an engine will get water in the oil:
cracked block or head
cracked exhaust manifold
bad exhaust manifold / elbow gasket or joint

time to start looking for the source of the leak.

since you mention 3.0 and OMC, your boat is 1999 or older (OMC went out of business in 1999)

you dont mention a year or make. so here are some generalities

fiberglass boats have a 15 year design life and a service live between 5 and 30 years
all manufacturers recommend removing the drive for inspection every year. this is to inspect for potential leak paths
if your boat is an 80's or 90's baylliner, most likely a rotten transom and rotten stringers

southkogs

Staff member
Lots of reasons a boat can take on water. Too many to list. Water in the oil sounds like an engine problem: head gasket, cracked block, etc. Water in the bilge could be all kinds of stuff.

You have to see where it is coming in from. Best way to start is to put the plug in, and back it into the lake/river/ocean and look in the bilge. See if the water is coming in from one place or another. If it's not coming in with the engine off, start it up (if you can) and then see. Once you can see where it is coming in, you can narrow the guess work of why it's coming in.

Is the transom solid?