Back on the Water

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, the old OMC has made it back out for the start (at least) of another season. I put it back together Friday and started it up after sitting for right at 5mos.

We put it on the lake late in the afternoon for a test run since Saturday was gonna be windy and not as warm. It had a bit of a surge at my first cruise setting of 3,500rpm; it didn't show up on the tach, but I could feel it. Same thing when I powered it up all the way, and felt like it was short some power.

It seemed to be running well enough to continue, so we cruised around at 3000-3,500 for 45min or an hour. I realized at some point, hey, It seems to be running well now. I pushed it back up to full again before recovering, and it trimmed up to 42mph+ with no surging.

It ran nice and cool with the new exhaust system too. I already knew that from last year though; just nice to confirm all still well there.

I kinda ended the season last year with some stuff not sorted out completely - exact points adjustment mainly. I think I'm gonna leave that alone, and maybe just bump the timing back up a little since I had retarded it some late last season (to get it on spec.), and since I think that cost me a few mph on the top end. I prob. oughta check simple carb adjustment too (mixture + ?) since I haven't touched that yet.

Pretty decent first outing. I'm hoping the season goes well.

southkogs

Staff member
:thumb: Great way to start the year! AND good social distancing :cool:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Good to hear it. Right now the situation here in NY is very bleak due to the virus not sure if boat Ramos will be open. I’ve driven past a few marinas and not seem much activity. Shrink wrap still on most boats etc when normally this would be the beginning of the spring rush.
if things get better by June I might get it ok but for now every thing is on hold here. Glad I did not sell the old one last year and buy a new boat as I was thinking. Would have been a drag to have a $45,000 boat sitting all summer....

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Right now the wildlife department and that here are still encouraging people to get outside, so I hope that continues to be the case. If they start shutting the lakes and the state parks and stuff, that's gonna stink, rather.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have not heard anything about whether or not marinas are considered essential services in NY but they are in both NJ and Ct, so maybe if we are lucky our boatyard that is right in my neighborhood will be able to drop moorings and do bottom painting. If not then I have another big project to keep me busy (restoring our '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee which we've owned since new). Been wanting to get at that for a couple of years.

our mooring spot basically behind where we live.....
End of season 2019.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0