plug wires for 89 OMC 5.0L Ford

Travis71

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am needing sparkplug wires for my 89 OMC 5.0L ford v-8. The problem I am running into is finding wires that will plug into my female socket distributor cap. I have searched the part numbers from crowley marine to no avail. Even went to an auto parts store today and their wires fit an HEI (I'm learning some stuff through this process!) distributor. I have found the DIY plug wire kits that have the proper plug type for the distributor, but I would like to avoid having to make up my own wires if at all possible.

I am hoping someone else has already figured this out and tell me where to go and what to buy, because I don't want to mess around having to return stuff that I order online.

Thanks!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You might have a Prestolite points distributor...the cap & plug wires on these are like old school distributors pre-HEI distributors...there are other retailers you can check but we aren’t supposed to post em here...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS without mentioning retailers I was able to get a set of plug wires, dist cap, rotor and tune up parts from BRP who makes Evinrude outboards and sells Cobra parts. Locally if you can find an Evinrude dealer they can order anything still available for Cobras...

Travis71

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have found a distributer and tune up kit on a certain auction website using part number from the service manual for my boat.

I have also found a set of new old stock wires, but I can't verify the part number will work. It says its OMC part #503755 and they look just like my old wires. However, the 2019 Sierra catalog lists that as a cross reference for chevy 350 using my same prestolite distributor. They are only $25 but I don't have 100% confidence they will work.

Assuming I am reading their catalog correctly, Sierra lists 18-28044 as the proper wire set, which looks identical to the 503755 wires I found on the auction site.

My engine model number is 502BPRMED. I have an official service manual and nowhere can I find a part number for a complete set of plug wires.

Sorry for the rambling post, lots of info rattling around in my head!

Travis71

Petty Officer 3rd Class
PS without mentioning retailers I was able to get a set of plug wires, dist cap, rotor and tune up parts from BRP who makes Evinrude outboards and sells Cobra parts. Locally if you can find an Evinrude dealer they can order anything still available for Cobras...

I do have a local evinrude dealer...I will call them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!!