5.8 efi to carb conversion

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
After much tinkering with this blasted efi engine i decided to convert to tried and true Carburator. I know i have to get the manifold, coil, distributor and the carb but what other things do i need for this to happen? Engine is 351 5.8 fuel injected omc from a four winns 200 horizon.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
After much tinkering with this blasted efi engine i decided to convert to tried and true Carburator. I know i have to get the manifold, coil, distributor and the carb but what other things do i need for this to happen? Engine is 351 5.8 fuel injected omc from a four winns 200 horizon.

coil is probably ok, depends on the type of dizzy you get.

also need a fuel pump like GA mentioned. either stay electric, or install a mechanical.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Keep in mind you must use a marine carb, that will have J tubes and is less likely to leak round the throttle shafts.
If you use a mechanical fuel pump (cheap & reliable) it must be a marine unit you must hook up the overflow hose from the fitting on the pump to the fitting on the air horn of the carb (1/4" tygon tubing yellow stuff). If you use a low pressure electric pump there is no need for the overflow hose (IIRC).

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/0-80319-1
this one is calibrated to work with the Ford 351 and is probably the same thing both OMC and Volvo used when they were selling carbed engines.

https://www.crowleymarine.com/johnso...cfm?mdl=XRGH8J
this will give you an idea of the parts you will need. If the fuel pump is NLA from OMC/BRP, it may be available from Volvo Penta, if not then you have to find out what Carter pump was used on these. Or then just use a low pressure electric pump with the safety switch (oil pressure).
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Fuel-...view_id.792209
V/P used the same engine same components.
They list that pump as available but do not pay the robber baron price, search around to find the Carter part number and you should not pay more than about $125 for it.

I forget from your original post, is this an original OMC Cobra dog clutch or the joint venture cone clutch (SX Cobra)? If its the former, the challenge is to get a distributor that will work with the OMC ESA system. If you could by chance find an original points distributor it will work, as long as the wiring is the same as the points system. If you wind up going electronic, there may be a need to replace the ESA module, or wire it like a Merc Alpha. If you have the SX Cobra or the OMC King Cobra cone clutch, then this should not be an issue...but never having done it...you'll be doing some figuring here...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS looked back, you have a '93, so its the dog clutch, and your ESA must work or else you won't be able to shift to neutral easily.