OMC 5.7 Cobra - CDI Conversion?

ctupling

Cadet
Hey. I have a 1989 FourWinns Liberator 201 with a OMC 5.7 Cobra. Looking to convert the points to a CDI. Any suggestions on good kits?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
delco voyager or mallory YLM distributor. you dont need CDI

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Keep in mind that in order for the ESA (Electronic Shift Assist) to work, you may have to buy a new ESA module that will work with the electronic distributor, or wire the system the way Merc did for the Alpha drives. If your shift assist does not lower the idle when you try to shift out of gear into neutral, shifting will become very difficult if not impossible.
I kept the points in my ignition system for this reason, they are not a big deal to maintain if you grew up with cars that had points igntion like some of us old timers. In fact they don't have to be replaced yearly, I have gotten approx. 4-5 seasons out of a set of points and condenser.
If you are set on getting rid of the points, you can call CDI electronics in Alabama and see if they make an ESA module that will work with an electronic distributor.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
with yearly maintenance (file, gap dwell, timing), a set of points will last about 20 years in a boat

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
One way I have seen that its obvious that either the points or condenser are going bad, is the engine will run really poorly when the ESA is engaged, if you start seeing that then the probably do need to be replaced.
Scott I'll have to dig round to find my old points file lol.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Scott I'll have to dig round to find my old points file lol.

if you cant find it, your Admirals nail file is in her purse and extras in the bathroom drawer. i lost my points file back in about 92, ever since then, i have a 6-pack of nail files from the dollar store

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Scott I've learned not to mess with the Admiral's nail files. LOL. I'll dig the old one out of my old tool box from 1972 when I had my air cooled VWs....