OMC SX Outdrive Gearlube Question

ach1982

Cadet
Hello,
every year the same question, but it as it is:caked:. What is the right gearlube for my 1995 OMC SX outdrive?
The original manual calls for OMC Ultra HPF, but this I can`t get in my surrounding.
For newer than 1995 SX drives it is reccommended by V/P to use their V/P DuraPlus synth GL5 or Mobil Mobilube 1 SHC 75W-90.
Are there any doubts to fill this it in my 1995 SX drive?
While some research in the internet I read something about yellow metall in older OMC SX drives and that this is not compatible the GL5 rated lubes.

It would be great if someone of you can reccommend me the right lube or tell me something about his/her experience.

Thanks a lot...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Use what Volvo recommends because the last of the cobras (94-98) were the same as the Volvo Sx.
Yours has a cone clutch shifting mechanism same as Volvo.

ach1982

Cadet
I found a thread in another forum, that's why I am concerned about.

Last edited by a moderator:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That posting is by someone with OMC outboard motors.-----The V-8 ones.----Make the effort to find the recommended oil.-----Cheap compared to gears and other internal parts.---How many hours of use every season ?-------Your location ?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Here's what you have to remember:
You have a cone clutch gearcase and as such, the frictional characteristics are different in terms of the recommended oils.
The older OMC Cobras (up to '93) and all the OMC outboards all had dog clutch gear cases. They operate very differently. If Volvo recommends a specific oil for their cone clutch shifting set up then I'd use that. I've never had one but I have heard of problems happening because of not using the right oil.
On my older OMC Cobra with dog clutch shifting, I use the Merc High Performance gear lube on the recommendation of my former mechanics. It is easier to find than the OMC stuff, and works fine for me. But this is a dog clutch drive remember, totally different shfting mechanism than what you have.
Use the Volvo spec stuff!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the Owners Manual says to use OMC Ultra HPF, then use the BRP Ultra HPF. There is more to the Oil Selection than whether or not has Cone Clutches, the wrong oil can and will eat the Friction Bearings(Bushings) in the Unit.

ach1982

Cadet
Exactly this is my problem.
I can't get it here in Germany. I can just get the sierra synthetik blend as an replement.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ok
best advice I can give is look at the parts diagrams for both the OMC Cobra and Volvo SX of the same year and you will see the parts are the same; even the same parts #s. So the most sensible thing to do I’d follow VP’s specs. Keep in mind the OMC hpf Pro gear oil was formulated for DOG CLUTCH outboards!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also:
look on the ID plate on the drive transom mount, it will say built by Volvo Penta of the Americas!

ach1982

Cadet
Thanks for all your responses.
Indeed the plate says Volvo Penta but the decals are OMC.

I had contact to a Volvo Penta specialized workshop.
Their mechanic said the OMC SX and the VP SX outdrives are similar and 75W90 GL5 fullsynthetic is recommended to use.
The older Cobras should use the UHPF or equivalent stuff.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sounds good!
with a dog clutch drive such as the older Cobras (1986-1993) or a Merc Alpha drive the oil is not so critical because of the way they shift (either engaged or not), but with a cone clutch drive where it engages differently it makes a difference.