Alternator out of alignment

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1998 Four Winns with a OMC 5.8l Efi Ford 351 windsor. Engine year is 1993 and engine model is 58FAPRJVN, the engine was taken apart for repairs. All front components loosened or fully taken off. Now i am in the end stages of installation and the only thing that was missing was the alternator. The old alternator had a broken bolt and i decided to replace the alternator with new one. Here is the kicker.....the alternator fits perfect in the bracket but its WAYYYY out of alignment with the other belt pulleys or drives. Alternator is off by about 2 to 3 inches forward. Now i did notice someone had shimmed the old alternator prior to my disasembly. I thought that i had ordered the wrong one and ordered another one, still the same. All parts are marine grade. The question is although funny.....am i going crazy or is this the right way? I did cut a piece of the alternator and shimmed it with washers but still is slightly off. Anybody have any ideas or knowledge of how to make this work, thanks.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Pics would be good. Did you replace the alt with the same as what was there? It could have been the wrong one to begin with.

Galvez83

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes the alt was replaced with one based on the part number but to no avail. Unless its modified it will stand forward about 3 inches. I read somewhere that its suppose to have a bushing. I have searched long and wide and come up with nothing other then making my own bushing with a hollow rod for the bolt. The issue is that the mod needs to align. Right now it has been put in with washers but the washers make the alt bend to the side when tightened by the belt. Pics to follow.