Growl/vibration when turning only in gear

foilled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a cobra that is making a louder growl noise with vibration when in gear and turning. You can hear sound level out as you straighten wheel.
​​ Only really noticeable at low speeds. What would be causing this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You are pulling the drive every year for the annual maintenance and alignment, correct?

foilled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You are pulling the drive every year for the annual maintenance and alignment, correct?

correct. both the ujoints and gimbal bearing was replaced this season. if it couldnt be anything else i was considering water mustve leaked back in past bellows or something ruining atleast the gimbal bearing again. the growl got louder just over a few weekend trips. it is salt water so it might have done the damage very fast.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
a hot bearing will suck water past the seals if water hits it.

foilled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a hot bearing will suck water past the seals if water hits it.

looks like salt deposits all in shifting area. although some brown grease in ujoint bellow there is no water just sitting in bellows. gimbal seems smooth and ujoints aswell. boat has been gotten water accumulating in bilge though from weekend trips and boat does growl when turning all the way. engine isnt leaking any water ive inspected while running. any ideas

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you may have to press out a u-joint cap to inspect the U-joint bearings

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
IF you grease the gimble while turning it and see brown grease come out, replace it same with the u joints, if you see the grease coming out brown in color then water got in.
If you have salt deposits in the area where the bell crank sits (which is a known problem area on the Cobra) you need to check the drain plug on the side of the pivot housing (lower one on the same side as the bell crank). This was put in to drain water in case the owner did not pull the drive to prevent that area from cracking. Take out the plug, make sure that it still has the oring on it, if not replace it and coat threads with OMC gasket sealer. Clean salt deposits out, if the bell crank has the grease fitting on the side, grease it well, if not grease it by hand with OMC triple guard. I also pack that whole area behind the bell crank with it. Then when you re-install the drive clean the mating surfaces well, coat both sides of the gasket generously with OMC gasket sealer, and the mating surfaces too. Doing that every year, I have been able to keep water out, no shifting problems, mine shifts out of gear with 2 fingers on the control. I have replaced the bellows 2x in 17 years of ownership, gimble once (in 2005 still fine) and the ujoints are the same ones on it when I bought it.

foilled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IF you grease the gimble while turning it and see brown grease come out, replace it same with the u joints, if you see the grease coming out brown in color then water got in.
If you have salt deposits in the area where the bell crank sits (which is a known problem area on the Cobra) you need to check the drain plug on the side of the pivot housing (lower one on the same side as the bell crank). This was put in to drain water in case the owner did not pull the drive to prevent that area from cracking. Take out the plug, make sure that it still has the oring on it, if not replace it and coat threads with OMC gasket sealer. Clean salt deposits out, if the bell crank has the grease fitting on the side, grease it well, if not grease it by hand with OMC triple guard. I also pack that whole area behind the bell crank with it. Then when you re-install the drive clean the mating surfaces well, coat both sides of the gasket generously with OMC gasket sealer, and the mating surfaces too. Doing that every year, I have been able to keep water out, no shifting problems, mine shifts out of gear with 2 fingers on the control. I have replaced the bellows 2x in 17 years of ownership, gimble once (in 2005 still fine) and the ujoints are the same ones on it when I bought it.

great thanks