Have replaced transom cable before no problem - Delco EST now problem

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
I installed a new engine when I bought the boat. I have no model tags.

On BRPs site they come back with 4 1989 5.7 model numbers. The R rotation ones obv aren’t it.

They are
nodeFolderClosed.gif
350AMLMED 1989
menu_tee.gif
nodeFolderClosed.gif
350APRMED 1989
menu_tee.gif
nodeFolderClosed.gif
574AMLMED 1989
menu_tee.gif
nodeFolderClosed.gif
574APRMED 1989

Baaed on my research and what pops up in each model number I am pretty sure I have the 574AMLMED model number. When I googled around the model numbers the 350 ones seem to be King Cobra models and the 57 numbers seem to be the regular Cobra numbers.

As in if I pull a couple parts from a 350 model number they come back as King Cobra. 57 model numbers everything comes back as Cobra although some sites mix and match or seem to think they’re all the same.

if anyone has any additional info on which way the model numbers work I’d greatly appreciate it.

ill be calling an Evinrude dealer today and checking Cowleys. I prefer OEM also.

So far I need a TBSC, a drain screw for the shift
pocket, and gonna get a few washers for everything that has one that I’ve disassembled.

MUCH THANKS for all the help again Lou !!!

LAC_STS

Provided I am using the correct model number which when they state they’re Sierra part number comes back same as here but here’s the superseded part numbers for the cable.

Supersession Chain

Shift Cable Assembly
VIEWING THIS PRODUCT 0987661 CURRENT
OBSOLETE BRP PART 0987498 0987661
SHIFT CABLE Assembly 0986654 0987498
SHIFT CABLE Assembly 0985587 0986654

AFTERMARKET
Shift Cable Assembly - Sierra Marine
18-2245-1 - $120.04
Shift Cable Assembly - GLM Marine - 21715 - $104.98

EDIT : Didnt know this but just spoke with an Evinrude dealer and according to them the King Cobra was never made on the 5.7 so either Regular rotation part will be the same and work.

just gonna order the BRP part from Cowleys. More expensive but I’ll have a BRP part not a Sierra one.

Last edited:

LAC_STS

Like there could be one more thing... But are all the drain screws the same?

On the BRP parts diagram is only shows the drain screws for the water hose side not the shift housing side. It doesnt even give a part number or anything.

This makes me thing theyre the same. Im about to order the TBSC, a washer for the bellcrank arm, the drain screw for the shift cable pocket, and the washer that goes along with it.

I have a brand new remote cable, 2 unopened sets of drive instal gasket sets with the o rings and stuff, a 3/4 full tube of OMC [ now Evinrude ] blue snot, and the gasket sealer for the bellows.

My remote cable is fine except for the part with the plastic adjustment thing on it. The adjustment wheel just spins on the threads like someone forced it till the plastic threads on the inside broke. So I will replace that too. My shifter is actually only 3 years old and was a brand new BRP $300 deal. So Ill take that apart and lube it up. Prob about time to service it anyways and I have the manual to it so might as well.

After all this I hope I can report back " Hey Lou I got it all right and Im 2 - 2.5 lbs force needed. "

LAC_STS

Parts are on the way. BRP / Evinrude branded cable.

I need to chase the drain screw threads with a tap. They're not that bad.

I took the screw and housing to the hardware store and the threads are too messed up to verify the thread pitch.

I can get a 5/16 - 24 and a M8 - 10 to thread into it a little bit in but not enough to tell if it’s the correct. Can’t get any of the other drain screws out and if I remember correctly I am pretty sure they’re or one is a diff size.

If anyone happens to know or have an extra one they can check it would really save me a lot of grief.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Provided I am using the correct model number which when they state they’re Sierra part number comes back same as here but here’s the superseded part numbers for the cable.

Supersession Chain

Shift Cable Assembly
VIEWING THIS PRODUCT 0987661 CURRENT
OBSOLETE BRP PART 0987498 0987661
SHIFT CABLE Assembly 0986654 0987498
SHIFT CABLE Assembly 0985587 0986654

AFTERMARKET
Shift Cable Assembly - Sierra Marine
18-2245-1 - $120.04
Shift Cable Assembly - GLM Marine - 21715 - $104.98

EDIT : Didnt know this but just spoke with an Evinrude dealer and according to them the King Cobra was never made on the 5.7 so either Regular rotation part will be the same and work.

just gonna order the BRP part from Cowleys. More expensive but I’ll have a BRP part not a Sierra one.

Hello again!
OK the 5.7 King Cobra (I have pix of it in my '88 owners manual and shop manual) was the normal 5.7 and normal dog clutch Cobra drive with thru the transom exhaust and King Cobra decals, that is it! Probably was a popular option on boats like the Four Winns Liberator.
The shift cable for the 5.7s should all be the same, because the transom mount really did not change over the course of production of the dog clutch models but the cables of course were updated, that happened in 1988 I believe.

Last thing, those 3 drain plugs with the o rings are all the same. They are still available but expensive like some Cobra stuff is.

If you can store the boat with the drive down that cable should last a LONG time. Mine still has the same cable it had on it when I bought it in 2002!
Last time I set up the linkage, was in 2013 and it still shifts with 2 fingers.
Keys to a good shifting Cobra:
Keep water OUT of that pocket in the pivot housing, pack with triple guard, use the grease fitting, coat that gasket for the drive-pivot housing with OMC gasket sealer Merc Perfect seal or Permatex Aviation Sealer. I bet that hole, caused most of your problems! Good thing you took it apart far enough to find it!
Keep idle not more than 600 in neutral, when you trigger the ESA interrupt switch the idle should drop to approx. 450, engine should be able to run at that speed momentarily. Mine has no trouble doing that.
Make sure ESA works, the modules do eventually fail (get a new one from CDI Electronics, and the Sierra ones, are just CDI units) and the switches do wear out or stick. I changed the module (failed) and switches were sticking, but after 26 years! Did that back in 2015 I think...
Good Luck and post up your pix/vids!

OK as far at the OMC model numbers...
the 57 is just 5.7 liter The 4 after the 57 is for 4bbl carb, if it had a 2bbl there would be a 2
The M=manual steering (never saw one with manual steering)
The P=power steering (virtually standard)
The R or L may refer to a counter rotating drive (they did make them that way, had a different lower unit). The other letters, who knows. I'm guessing R means the prop rotates to the right as you face the stern the L rotates to the left (counter rotation)
Mine is a standard rotation 4.3, 4bbl carb power steering
434APRGDP

Last edited:

LAC_STS

Ok so even with the wrong info from the Evinrude dealer I should still have the correct cable.
BRP / Evinrude part number - 0987661

According to this - the L or R does refer to rotation http://www.sterndrive.info/model_numbers.html

However that doesn’t give any L regular rotation power steering option. All 4 with P for power steering are all R. I do have power steering and L regular rotation 100%.
Either way pretty sure and hoping I got the right cable.

As for the screw I’ll just have to order one and find out what size so I can chase the treads with a tap.

For everything else. Cable should be here late Monday. So by next weekend I’ll have everything reinstalled. Then hopefully you’ll be seeing me having a nice drive!!!

Once again another great idea I never would thought of although it makes perfect sense. Store with drive down. Been storing it about 1 / 3 way up for years.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
All well I got 11 years out of the first bellows I installed back in 2005, by doing that, you look for small cracks in the folds, when you see those you should replace. Sounds like you are coming along. Also the Cobra bellows is asymmetric, there is one more fold that goes down. That allows the rubber to stretch without cracking.

LAC_STS

All well I got 11 years out of the first bellows I installed back in 2005, by doing that, you look for small cracks in the folds, when you see those you should replace. Sounds like you are coming along. Also the Cobra bellows is asymmetric, there is one more fold that goes down. That allows the rubber to stretch without cracking.

Cool and thanks again. Got the bellows part. Luckily it states that in my manual or I prob wouldn’t have known or noticed when I installed them about 3 years ago. Both still look perfect and pliable no cracks.

Got my shift cable, 6 new locknuts as last ones that hold drive on we’re wore out, got pack of two OD install gasket sets, and got the drain screw which luckily chasing it with a tap was good enough to make it thread normally.

Only thing I gotta grab now is sealants. Mine are years old, old or separated and won’t mix back right. So I’m a go get some new stuff. Still have bunch of triple guard.

Is there anything else you can think of to do to the OD before reinstalling it ? I’ve checked the oil level and it’s good and still clean and clear as was changed recently.
I greased up the U-Joints, scraped the mounting surface clean, and installed a new water pump kit. I had one around and it’s been a few years so whatever I replaced the plate, impeller, gasket, o ring thing.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Grease the gimble bearing while turning it with the drive off. It should turn very smoothly and the grease should come out clean. For sealants you can use Merc Perfect Seal because it’s the same as the OMC gasket sealer. I also use Permatex Aviation sealer which you can get at any auto parts store.

LAC_STS

Grease the gimble bearing while turning it with the drive off. It should turn very smoothly and the grease should come out clean. For sealants you can use Merc Perfect Seal because it’s the same as the OMC gasket sealer. I also use Permatex Aviation sealer which you can get at any auto parts store.

Ok perfect. Gimbal bearing is 3 years old but I will def check it again, when I checked the bellows there was nothing but blue marine grease in there [ not triple guard ]. Should be perfect, I also got my alignment tool out to re check that.

Going to get sealants and stuff today. What’s your personal opinion? Go to marine store get Merc Perfect Seal or just grab the aviation sealant from a parts store? Any option better? I’ve never used the Merc stuff. From looking at the pivot housing I can tell I was getting water in a few diff places. I was using the Permatex Aviation Sealant, but I never used to coat both sides of the gasket. I’d coat one side and then one of the mounting surfaces.

Will be following your directions this time coating both sides and one of the mating surfaces.

As a side note man you can really tell the diff between the BRP / Evinrude brand cable and the Sierra ones. Even the set screws on the engine side cable end are actual bolts on this one not little tiny square set screws. Well worth the extra $. Esp with how long Lous has lasted. Think this is my third one since I have owned the boat about 8 years.

LAC_STS

SMH I just pulled up to the boat at a locked storage where the local cops train they’re K9s and my trailer tires are sitting fully on top of the wheel chains. As if it was pulled forward. No damage I can see. Big camera right facing my boat. Hitch lock on there so I wanna see WTH happened. I just got this nice all alum Rolls Axle trailer a year ago. I hate thieves.

LAC_STS

OH MAN. Trim rams are gone and lines cut. And the boat cover is half off. I HATE thieves. Now I gotta do this but it’ll be done and out of that storage by the weekend thats for sure.

southkogs

Staff member
Seriously, you just rolled up on the crime scene this morning? That stinks. Sorry man.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sorry to hear that man! You have insurance? I know the trim rams are pricey if you can even find em….If you get a used set, they are re-buildable, BRP still sells a rebuilt kit with seals, etc.

LAC_STS

Yea this sucks. This storage place is supposed to be very secure. Supposedly they train the sheriffs K9s there, owner lives on site, and when I moved there about a year ago they had just installed a huge security system with cameras everywhere, I’ve saw my boat on the screen in the office so I know they had to have caught it, but they won’t show me footage for liability. All stores down here have that policy. But they turned it over to the sheriffs office which doesn’t seem to care at all.

I still have a rebuild kit for two rams from when I rebuilt the ones that were stolen. So I’m looking for some good used ones I can reseal / rebuild. There’s a marine surplus store locally that stocks them new and slightly used but I gotta go see how much.

On top of that the tongue hitch part won’t fit on my ball anymore as the metal piece inside that moves when you lock it is bent. I tried bending it back but it’s strong and not any room to work. Just gonna get a new one. And I guess they wanted to steal my gauge cluster? It’s cracked in half and all the screws out. And they tried to steal my few year old new $300 BRP shifter also. Weren’t smart at all it’s not that hard to remove.

Have ins but depending on prices might not be worth the deductible and having that claim on me. Dunno how true it is but I heard boat INS skyrockets once you have a claim. I don’t know though.

Trying to look at good side. At least they didn’t break anything else and thank god I had thick welded tow chains around both tires and trailer frame. Otherwise it would be gone.

Did I mention I hate thieves ?

LAC_STS

I went to west marine and asked for Merc Perfect Seal and they looked at me like I was an alien. Parts stores don’t carry aviation Permatex even though the one I got that’s old and bad came from the same store.

I got this Permatex Aviation Form a Gasket Sealant. Is this the same stuff you were talking about ? My old bad one just says liquid sealant or something I don’t have it right in front of me.

If not I can just order the stuff on amazon. Just wanna get this thing on there and get the boat out that storage.

Attachments

• photo322605.jpg
    photo322605.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 0

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yes that will work. They looked at you like an alien because none of them has ever had their hands dirty in a bilge. Find a good marine parts house, one that mechanics get their parts from. Merc Perfect seal should be easy to find, but the Permatex works fine too.

LAC_STS

Yes that will work. They looked at you like an alien because none of them has ever had their hands dirty in a bilge. Find a good marine parts house, one that mechanics get their parts from. Merc Perfect seal should be easy to find, but the Permatex works fine too.

Yup seems right. Even though you can’t stand in one of theyre stores without being asked every 3 mins if you need help. Was a Sunday so I figured I’d just bend over and get it there...

All good though. Got a set of rams from a supply place. Donzi, Wellcraft, all those manufacturers that used to be local when they moved years and years ago they bought everything from them. So they have old stock stuff. They even have $850 OMC OEM P / S cylinders.

$100 a piece but I don’t gotta rebuild them they’re like new don’t leak. Replaced the two hoses going to the rams, Pre filled rams and finished install. Had to piece together all the hardware as the scumbag thieves just wrecked everything. Can’t find a dash gauge piece. Prob have a local plastics place make one they’re reasonable. Fixed shifter. Guess they didn’t know you gotta remove the handle on this one and box come out the back. Idiots. Fixed the I dunno 12 or 15 snaps that got ripped out the boat when they I guess grabbed the $1500 cover and just ripped it off. Even though it has that cover snap ring chapstick stuff on them they still broke one way or another. Really can’t believe what they went through for two used trim rams. The detective I’m working with said they have they’re tag and good descriptions of them from the cameras so maybe they’ll catch them not that I have any confidence in our local LEO depts. Then the trim rams will cost them a lot more $.

Now I got rest of week at work and school so now hopefully this weekend OD will be on there. Then I’ll finish bleeding out the trim system. Didn’t think I should attempt without the drive on. Rams are full so is the pump tank so shouldn’t be much.

Coming along.

LAC_STS

Pivot housing is assembled and put back on. Torqued everything to spec, Installed new BRP cable, checked the gimbal bearing. It’s good. I replaced it about 5 years ago, spins freely without any noise.

That Permatex Aviation Sealant I bought is brown colored vs the old one I have which is white and man that stuff does not come off your hands. Denatured Alcohol barely touched it I still had to scrub every inch.

Ended up running out of daylight so I sealed everything up back there with some plastic and gonna do the TBSC adjustment with the drive off and the tools and then install the drive.

LAC_STS

Got one more question for you Lou. I asked before but just to confirm “ pack the whole shift cable pocket with triple guard. “

Meaning fill the ENTIRE cavity? When I was re assembling it seemed like that Triple guard is so sticky it seems like it would cause more friction.

Just wanna confirm.