Have replaced transom cable before no problem - Delco EST now problem

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok so hold on I got a no info issue on this BRP cable.

Read through the sections in the book it doesn’t say anywhere how to install or adjust the rod that the cable guide goes on. My shift cable came all apart. Says for easier install.

So on the engine side I have to screw in the metal rod that the cable guide slides onto. Do I screw it all the way into the cable? Or is there a certain dimension? All my manual has and the instructions that came with the cable already assume it’s installed.

This is part of my old cable but this part pictured.

Attachments

• photo322705.jpg
    photo322705.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 0

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Got one more question for you Lou. I asked before but just to confirm “ pack the whole shift cable pocket with triple guard. “

Meaning fill the ENTIRE cavity? When I was re assembling it seemed like that Triple guard is so sticky it seems like it would cause more friction.

Just wanna confirm.

Yep I pack it in there and then move the shifter back and forth a few times, never had it get sticky. Your main thing here is keeping out water and making sure that thing can move back and forth real easy. I just wipe off the area where the gasket will go.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ok so hold on I got a no info issue on this BRP cable.

Read through the sections in the book it doesn’t say anywhere how to install or adjust the rod that the cable guide goes on. My shift cable came all apart. Says for easier install.

So on the engine side I have to screw in the metal rod that the cable guide slides onto. Do I screw it all the way into the cable? Or is there a certain dimension? All my manual has and the instructions that came with the cable already assume it’s installed.

This is part of my old cable but this part pictured.

https://www.nlamarine.com/pages/omc...al-installation-adjustment-instructions-guide

this should help explain it. I have not had to do this yet because my cable (which has to be close to 20 years old, is still good!)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS you can see one of the advantages that the Cobra design has over the Merc Alpha. The shift cable bellows is inside the boat above the water line. So if it ever tore, water won't even go up that high in the shift cable tube. The other advantages are the much easier to replace impeller and drive shaft bellows. These jobs on an Alpha are a genuine pain in the butt. Cobra they are easy. When I first got the Cobra powered boat I felt I really made a mistake but a very good OMC mechanic pointed out these things, set it up and got it shifting well when I first got this boat in 2002. Turned out he was right. Too bad some of the parts are getting hard to find.

LAC_STS

PS you can see one of the advantages that the Cobra design has over the Merc Alpha. The shift cable bellows is inside the boat above the water line. So if it ever tore, water won't even go up that high in the shift cable tube. The other advantages are the much easier to replace impeller and drive shaft bellows. These jobs on an Alpha are a genuine pain in the butt. Cobra they are easy. When I first got the Cobra powered boat I felt I really made a mistake but a very good OMC mechanic pointed out these things, set it up and got it shifting well when I first got this boat in 2002. Turned out he was right. Too bad some of the parts are getting hard to find.

Perfect link thank you so much for that I was looking but guess not hard enough. Can def tell the diff between a Sierra cable and a BRP one. BRP is worth the $.

Also I agree the Cobra is a lot easier to maintain. Can replace entire water pump / impeller assy easily and just few mins.

Keep it updated and thanks once again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
PS you can see one of the advantages that the Cobra design has over the Merc Alpha. The shift cable bellows is inside the boat above the water line. So if it ever tore, water won't even go up that high in the shift cable tube

And the downside is you have to remove the engine to replace a leaking shift cable hose

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
that is true but I don't think it is a common problem, Volvo SX used exactly the same set up.

LAC_STS

Just checking in. Didn’t want ya to think I got the help and didn’t post results.

Got the pivot housing on and now had to put a piece of plastic taped all around the transom housing to keep anything out of there.

Didnt hear anything, no close calls with curbs just boom and one of the alum wheels / tire blew out. Have a dual axle Rolls Axle trailer, drove it home ok. Never had a problem with this trailer before I showed up and the back tires were sitting on top of the chains. Got a good master lock tongue lock now although my tongue isn’t welded it’s just bolted on.

New wheel new tire > installed and it is tilted in so bad if you look from the front you can see the back tire. Tops tilted in bottom out. So “ forever spring “ bracket bent and hub is bent and bearings sound like crap. Of course Rolls you gotta have every part custom made and drive to get it.

Had that welding shop fix the forever spring bracket, got all the parts for the hub and doing that today. Took me all day yes to get the no cotter pin style D ring retainer thing off. Castle nut wasn’t tight it moved a little bit. Finally got it off at 8:30 last night. Unfortunately gotta do this first so I can take it home and put the do the TBSC adjustment and put the OD on.

Working on it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Trailer problems are a pain aren't they? I have an old '94 rebuilt Load Rite for my FW. I replaced the axle in '04 with new springs, and added brakes. Other than replacing the brakes a few times its been fine really. Simple spring axle that is easy to get parts for.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
old Load Rite

Attachments

• photo315818.jpg
    photo315818.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 0

LAC_STS

old Load Rite

Yea I’ve found out the hard way. All the trailer places say yea Rolls makes excellent trailers but if you ever need a part they make them on demand and you gotta drive to get it.

Not any trailer fixing experience here so this was new to me. Would been done at 3 instead of 8 PM if I knew to bang the stupid cone cover off instead of trying to use pics and a rag trying to find a pin in a grease ball of crap. [ yes give me crap I deserve it. ]

One pic to someone I didn’t really want to talk to or ask for help as he screwed me on my return my 100 favors to spray my boat deal. Boat say prepped and taped and everything until I ended up bringing someone else out to spray it and while he’s playing with his new golf cart tells me how bad he feels he can’t help me...

I’m his businesss IT and Security guy, and I started the business for him, amazing how people change when they start making 200 K a year.

Anyways one pic and he said dude your supposed to bang the cap off then you can see everything ...

Going to grab it and depending on how the ride home goes either doing the TBSC adjustment or replacing both wheel hubs, bearings, and everything on that front axle. Replaced just the bearings as of now on the blown side. Seems fixed who knows. Knowing my luck it’ll prob fall apart soon as I hit 40 MPH.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
take a look at Champion trailers and e-trailer's website, they both have good trailer tech info. I got my axle built at Champion Trailers in Slidell La. back in '04 and it came with the Tie Down spindle lube hubs. In all the years since then, all I did was change the seals maybe once, it still has the original bearings that it came with! It had drum brakes that I make work well by slightly modifying the wheel cyls to keep out water and taking the drums off every 3/4 years and checking to make sure that the shoes are not getting cracked from corrosion (this causes brake drag and overheating) and to lube up the places where the shoes have to move and the adjuster. Doing that, believe it or not they do last a long time.

LAC_STS

TBSC is on and adjusted. Gonna do one last check before I reinstall the OD. But after tightening everything down and packing that pocket with triple guard it shifts with almost the same effort as when the new cable was in the box and you can slide the core wire in and out easy easy easy.

Used the plastic Midnight whatever sellers TBSC tools to install. Got the 7 9 /16” to the dot. I did read somewhere that some models of this outdrive you can check the shift rod height without removing the lower. I’m gonna see if that’s true and / or on mine. If so I will check that too.

Guess I’ll be finding out if that wheel was really just the bearings or not when I bring it home to install the drive. Everything else I do at my storage in peace and quiet.