Cobra drive reseal how to?

Efini Motorsport

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are there any write ups on how to reseal a cobra outdrive? I'm getting watering my drive. I replaced the drain plug and dip stick seals and just put a new o-ring on the top cover. I'm looking for a how to on replacing the seals at the input and output shafts.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
have you tested it with a pressure gauge and soapy water to determine that those are the source of the water? A common issue is the water pump shaft seal, that one can be replaced with out special tools although you have to rig up a way to pull the pump mount plate. I've never done any of the seals on mine, just the drive shaft housing gasket and the drain plug gaskets. Find out what's leaking first then go from there.

Efini Motorsport

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just pressure tested it again. It will only hold about 2 psi and I can't even pump it over 6-7. There is a chance my tester is at least part of the problem as it's about 100 years old. Sprayed it down with soapy water and couldn't find a leak on it. I tested the water pump and prop shaft seal and neither had anybubbles. I did replace the top cover seal but haven't had it back in the water. Maybe that was what was leaking. The only seal I couldn't check is the input shaft seal as it's still on the boat.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Prob need a better tester for a definitive test. OMC used a low pressure test and a high pressure test... in my OMC shop manual it says to pressurize the gearcase to 3-6 psi and rotate the prop shaft to check for sealing. Then use soapy water to find the source. If pressure loss is not indicated increase pressure to 16-18 psi. Gearcase must not lose more than 1 psi in 3 min. For the vacuum test, pull 3-5" of mercury and then 15" of mercury. No loss of vacuum should occur on the low test and not more than 1 inch of mercury in 3 min on the high test. If the gearcase does not hold vacuum, use heavy oil on gaskets and seals to find the source.