Oil cooler woes

jimd10

Recruit
Hi guys,
have a problem that's driving me nuts. I am replacing the power steering oil cooler. 5.7 omc cobra. The cooler is mounted at the back of the engine. Had it all set up and went to tighten up the bolt that holds the clamp to the block, it would only go in about halfway. Undid it again tried putting it in by hand, same thing. There is nothing wedged in the hole. There is another hole above it but this one is same depth. I am stumped. This is the bolt I took out originally. Am I missing a trick here?. There is a clamp for holding cables supposed to go on same bolt but that will not take up all the slack. Looking at this for last two days and I admit defeat. Thanks in advance for any help. 😁

kenny nunez

Captain
There was a spacer under the bracket that may still be in the area. It probably fell when you removed the bolt.

jimd10

Recruit
That thought occurred to me also but can't see anything around. It has to be something simple but I just can't see it.

alldodge

Staff member
Making a stab at a possibility, just guessing/spit ball

Some have different size bolts. The ones which are used on the flywheel housing that hold spark plug wire holder can be a bit longer on the block size due to the support. Others that are not used for these but still used to hold ground connects can be different lengths

Pic just for reference

bolt.jpg

jimd10

Recruit
I can't have a different bolt.. I only took out one. Wondering what second hole is for now, it is about 2" below the one I want to use. Bolt fits both but only goes in about halfway. There are no other holes. There must be a spacer or I am not mounting the clamp correctly. I will have another look at it tomorrow after a nights sleep. Bloody boats 🤨