Edelbrock electric choke, hook-up power where?

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK I have an 87 Bayliner Cierra with an OMC 5.7. After years of fighting with Quadrajet issues I finally installed an Edelbrock 1409. The manual says not to connect the positive choke wire to a keyed ignition source. I don't know of any other ignition power source. I've heard of others connecting to alternator. My alternator only has 3 wires, two small wires going into conduit that lead to the coil and one larger B+ wire. There are no posts on the alternator anywhere. Anyone know how to wire up an electric choke on something like this? Thankyou
Dustin

ab59

Ensign
what does your information say about hooking it up to the positive side of your coil ?

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
it says exactly this.

Red Wire (+): To Ignition Key Activated 12V Source (NOT coil or alternator!)

Last edited:

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do you have points for your ignition ? if you do you will have a ballast resistor and one side of that is 12v switched. Thats the stock location on mine for the choke.

subcrx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No I don't have points and no ballast resistor. It's been switched over to electronic. I'm thinking of putting in a couple relays, Using the ignition switch signal to draw battery power. one for the choke and the other for the coil. What do you think?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
On my Volvo, the Electric choke gets its power from a "P" terminal on the Alt. That probably doesn't apply on an older OMC. How about powering a relay(solenoid) on a switched key terminal, and draw power straight off the Battery thru the relay to the choke

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
purple wire from the dash is ignition. that poweres the coil (either with a ballast or without), it also powers the choke and the excite wire to the alternator.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The reason why they say not to use the coil or the alternator is that for one if you use the coil, the draw from the choke heater (which is constant) can lower voltage to the coil. As far as the alternator, you need a terminal that is getting charging voltage only when the engine is running to avoid a choke that opens too fast. I actually called Arco marine when I was trying to do a Holley conversion (wound up going back to the Q-Jet with the divorced choke) and they said that the diodes in the alt might not hold up to the current draw of the choke heater, and suggested using a relay, so that the alt only triggers the relay which is powered off the battery common terminal on the battery switch.

I used to have that old style OMC alternator (Motorola I think) and there may be a way to do it...because OMC used the Holley on the Ford 460 in the same year range as the engine you have. The chokes are the same more or less from Holley to Edelbrock. On the Motorola alt, there are 4 terminals, one is the B+ (large orange terminal) one is the AC tap (directly opposite it) and the 2 others are the Excite and Sense terminals. The Excite should have the purple red wire hooked up to it, the Sense has the purple wire hooked up to it. Try running it and see which terminal gets at least 12V with the engine running only. If you don't have that alternator, post up what you have. In the OMC wiring harness for the Ford/Holley engines, the choke was connected to the AC tap terminal on the Motorola.

If you don't have the Motorola (which sounds like what you are saying) post up a pic of what you have.