3.0 omc engine coupler

yellowbiker

Recruit
Hey so I have. A 86. Omc with a 140 hp. Engine that was replaced 3 seasons ago with the newer flywheel. I fairly sure my coupler has slipped. Squeakes will engine runs. Just ran the engine Alingment. And is pretty good. It still squeaks and the outer edge of the coupler where it meets the metal is fairly hot to the touch.

I assume there here is no repairing this. There seems to be little or no info on this any help befor I drop $$$ and time would b great. Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hey so I have. A 86. Omc with a 140 hp. Engine that was replaced 3 seasons ago with the newer flywheel. I fairly sure my coupler has slipped. Squeakes will engine runs. Just ran the engine Alingment. And is pretty good. It still squeaks and the outer edge of the coupler where it meets the metal is fairly hot to the touch.

I assume there here is no repairing this. There seems to be little or no info on this any help befor I drop $$$ and time would b great. Thanks

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

You might want to post your model number since there was 2 very different models available in 86 model boats. Cobra and Stringer.

It could be any of the following:
302AMKWB 1986
302APKWB 1986

302FTHRCOM 1985
302SPHRCOM 1985
302STHRCOM 1985

If you don't know or cannot find it post a picture of what you have.

Regards,

Rick

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it can be repaired. If it's a Cobra you'll have to pull the engine. That part will run you probably at least $400. I won't comment on if it's a Stringer. Don't know enough about them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cobra uses an elastomeric coupler held to flywheel/crank with studs. This requires yearly check of alignment, and greasing the splines

Stringer used a solid steel puck with splines. No check of alignment

Repair is by pulling the motor and replacing.