electric shift to mechanical shift swap

biffripjock

Cadet
hello again
in addition to my other post which i hope to have resolved and boat running for the summer, later this fall i want to swap my drive out. currently 5 liter chevy 350 power with an electric shift drive. i have purchased a lucky garage find for a full mechanical shift intermediate housing and upper and lower units ( full leg) with steering rams/ pistons. all very clean - 800 series, circa 82 - 86.. my question lies in the throttle linkage, top mount binnacle control and shifting. i have read i need a new shifter box, part # 909277. no problem. my question lies with the throttle control box to the shifter box. can i use my existing one? or what part do i need. it is a top mount binnacle control with no trim currently.
thank you for any advice

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just very recently did this exact swap . You will probably need all new cables , you may be able to use your existing throttle cable , but I needed a new cable for the shift converter. I will work on putting up a thread showing mine

biffripjock

Cadet
that would be really appreciated. the actual cables from the leg are extremely good. i wouldnt mind upgrading the throttle or control if i could find one. my top mount binnacle is not in great shape
thanks

Redrig

You will need a new controller , no way around that . Your existing one is for electric shift so the shifting mechanism is just a 12v switch . With your new outdrive you will need a controller that uses a cable for the shift.

biffripjock

Cadet
ok thank you I figured, as well for clarity my project is not ESA, but full mechanical shift, i got some good ideas from your post. the easter hunt begins for a new controller with long enough cables.

Redrig

for clarity my project is not ESA, but full mechanical shift,

A mechanical shift and even Cobras use a device called an ESA (electronic shift assist) without it you will not be able to shift out of gear on the water. So you will need one of those, you have to wire it in to your existing ignition circuit .

biffripjock

Cadet
ok thank you for the insight, i thought i read things clearly on the full mechanical shift i will research more. thank you

biffripjock

Cadet
hello all again

i now have the esa but am having a crazy time finding a new to me / used control box. its a binnacle mount, mind you i can adapt a side mount.
no trim button needed. does anyone have part number or lead ideas to source one?

thank you

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello all again

i now have the esa but am having a crazy time finding a new to me / used control box. its a binnacle mount, mind you i can adapt a side mount.
no trim button needed. does anyone have part number or lead ideas to source one?

thank you

pm me ,may be able to help