omc stern drive no forward or reverse

cutbrain

Recruit
I have an OMC outdrive unit which lost both forward and reverse. It was having problems in reverse and after an outing, it lost all propulsion engine fine. My question is does replacing the lower unit only make sense? If so how do I match the lower unit for the correct replacement? When I move prop manual I hear busted gears from the lower unit.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Depends on how you want to tackle this, different actions will have different costs. Your options are rebuilding the drive yourself or having someone else do it, buying a rebuilt drive, buying a drive from a salvage yard, whatever fits your budget and best judgement is not my call, but those are some options. BUT before you do any of that, first thing that needs to be done is to isolate the problem. Pull the drive off and see if you can shift it by hand by moving the shift rod up and down while you rotate the prop, you might get lucky. Just make darn sure what the problem is before you break out another thousand. Then go from there. Ohh and if you do replace the drive make double sure that you replace the shift cable. It is a must, and it MUST be adjusted properly. But that is another can of worms lol. Best of luck to you.

kpg7121

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an OMC outdrive unit which lost both forward and reverse. It was having problems in reverse and after an outing, it lost all propulsion engine fine. My question is does replacing the lower unit only make sense? If so how do I match the lower unit for the correct replacement? When I move prop manual I hear busted gears from the lower unit.
They're are a couple different options you may have but we need to know what setup you have.