Not another Shifter cable Thread?

blitz491

Seaman Apprentice
I went back to take a few photos.

as far as using a come a long I was assumed i must have been off center or pulling at a angle after I wrenched using the bearing puller with an extension bar on it, I built a basic jig to try and keep everything centered and that broke, I tried my pull hammer and nothing, I set up the come along thinking I could apply an even slow continuous pull and watch it as it pulled to make sure it was pulling straight out it and it did pop but only a small ring came out? you can see it in the photo i attached

blitz491

Seaman Apprentice
in this photo you can see the bearing start to pull out but wont come any further bearing pull2.jpg

blitz491

Seaman Apprentice
well just an update and a question....I know my struggles seem odd and i have seen so many videos of this gimble bearing sliding out pretty easy with the correct tools, so its a little awkward to even post a question?

does anything seem odd in my last photo? something that has been strange with this project is how clean everything is! that photo is exactly how I removed it. no grease anywhere? and I know this is a something that has been debated but according to my book the Gimble bearing which Im assuming is original is in backwards? I was frustrated enough Sunday I tried to spin the gimble sideways and chisel a piece of the aluminum ring away to relieve the pressure and it is still stuck!

I was about to just remove the transom but came across another post about a similar situation so I have now rented another tool I have seen used to remove this bearing (blind bearing puller and a 10 lb hammer), this will be my last attempt before I just pull off the out drive completely.

here is my question and comments are welcome...I have seen where they use the Bellows gasket sealer around the outer ring of the bearing to keep it in place, I am seeing little traces of red glue around mine, could they have possibly used red Lock tite on my bearing? and if so should I try to heat the inner ring before I pull it next time to soften the Lock tite? could I cause any more damage?

ab59

Ensign
JD - I would hold off on the heat right now and try this. It's only my opinion . soak the outer flange of the bearing with some PB Blaster. wait 10 minutes . put your bearing driver together and drive the bearing back in a little . Then re rig the bearing puller and pull the bearing out . I believe that you may either have the bearing cocked a little or you have some kind of crap between the race and the outside of the bearing.
let us know how this works. Heat should only be a last resort IMHO and if you have to , then use a heat gun and NOT a TORCH .
A.B.

ab59

Ensign
OOPs before you drive the bearing in a LITTLE ( just a few thumps nothing radical ) make sure you are using the puck that fits to the outside of the gimbal in the bearing . If you use the small puck you may just screw up the gimbal in the bearing.
Before you begin to pull the bearing again clean the area thoroughly and once again douse it with a generous amount of PB Blaster or equivalent .
If you do wind up using heat try to heat the box and not the pin ie heat the housing around the bearing not the bearing . The idea will be to heat the race so that it will expand a little and let the bearing loose .
let us know what happens

A.B.

blitz491

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I got home a little late but I soaked it PB blaster, tapped it in a little and its soaking again. I reset my puller and I will give it a shot, should I try to inject some bearing grease in it through the zirk fitting also? I was considering that but not sure if that might tighten things up?
Ive been wanting to try my new heat gun anyway! so Ill hold off on my torch for now:rolleyes:

ab59

Ensign
Don't know about the grease , seems like it would not get to the area causing the problem but you never know .

blitz491

Seaman Apprentice
Finally!!!!! found the right tools a little heat and pop it came off!!!!!!

blitz491

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning Gentlemen.

Its been a few days(weeks) but a quick update, I finally have everything back together, and Im working on final adjustments, I put the boat into Fwd but out drive is not engaging from remote shiftier on the helm? Neutral is fine and measurements are spot on, shifts into reverse with no issues, back to neutral, but Fwd is a no go? I adjusted the remote cable to put more tension on the shift cable to the out drive but still not locking in?

I followed the manual and your (LouC) steps from another thread starting from the crank, using the correct tools, but after some trial and error I took trunion end of cable back off and re checked the measurement using the tool and it was off?I actually ran out of threads on cable so I realized I must have shifted it out of neutral but now Im wondering if I should pull out drive back off and reset everything?

ab59

Ensign
You may have to pull the OD again if you changed the cable setting that you created with the jigs. Before you do though , have someone turn the prop and with the transom cable loose from the bracket , manually pull the TC toward the bow of the boat and see it it shifts into forward gear. If it will not go into forward gear then you may have a different problem all together. lets hope for the best. You must start with the TC adjusted to correct length with jigs in place before you can get anything adjusted right.
Hopefully you are able to shift into forward by pulling on the cable because you will know that your problem is in the adjustment not the OD.
Give it a try and let us know.

A.B.

ab59

Ensign
Don't get too upset yet , I had the same problem with the threads but I found that I did not have the controller in the correct position when setting up the cables at the bracket once and that may be what you have done. The process can be confusing at first so have a look at my videos , I must have made those same adjustments a hundred times before I got everything to work together and function correctly.

blitz491

Seaman Apprentice
Hi AB, Man I must have been off this board a lot longer than I thought? here I was just kind of browsing and I noticed your post about an oil change and I started to check it out and I see "new engine" and "breaking it in" comments?? what the heck did I miss?
John

ab59

Ensign
I restored a 1988 Starcraft 201v SuperSport that included a rebuilt 5.7 engine . I have a thread here [h=2]my new old 1988 ss20v . Nothing new[/h]