OMC 3.8L Fuel pump works! No fuel dumped into the carb though - replace?

caveman_b

Cadet
So after completely dousing myself and the back of the boat with fuel.... I have determined that the fuel pump is working (running off of bypassed fuel tank and separator... external tank with primer bulb and in-line filter).

It sounds like I need a carb rebuild or to clear out something in the "box" on front of carb (took off connection at carb and spewing fuel everywhere. Most caught until I forgot one time.) What is in there pre-dump to bowl?

Could I just buy a rebuilt carb with trade (faster for me)? Seems there is a piece on top that is cracked (not causing issue but needs replaced). I think its the bracket for the butterfly...

Any upgrades here while Im at it?

I have determined:
  • How to actually run in neutral (didnt realize needed to pull out handle after trigger depress)
  • On direct apply fuel... Throttle response is good.
  • Prop turns in gear (no load... so not sure trans status) and wiih accel
  • Motor seems to run well on direct application of fuel. Tune is good, Runs smooth.
I am happy with where I'm at. I think it's just a little work to get it on the water.

Thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your carb is broken you will need a new carb

if you want an upgrade, you need to replace the obsolete motor and drive.

While I lived and breathed Buick 3.8's and 4.1's for years, it was not the best boat motor.
the Stringer 800 will need to have the vertical driveshaft replaced soon if it hasnt been replaced recently. the splines strip out due to age and will leave you stranded on the water, so get towing insurance.

How are the ball gears?