Parts Help Needed

jpock1976

Cadet
Update for pinion shaft in case someone else runs into this. While i was looking for part 909121 i found an image that specifies the difference between 909121 (M suffix) and 907738 (A11 suffix). Its attached. I pulled the lock nut and gear off of mine to compare. Mine was actually the A11 shaft. Lucky me. Lol so now i have discovered my model number as 990232A11 but still havent found it on the boat. Lol. Parts are on the way! Thanks again all!

Attachments

• photo311405.jpg
    photo311405.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo311406.jpg
    photo311406.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 1

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Nice ! so was that the cheaper and easier to find one ?

jpock1976

Cadet
Lol. No. I was being sarcastic when i said lucky me. Lol it actually wasnt too hard to find on ebay. About $130. OEM

southkogs

Staff member
How do ya' say "yay" and "bummer" in the same sentence? :) Glad ya' figured it out. That's a new one on me, but i only ever owned the one Stringer.

kenny nunez

Captain
The shaft with the short splines has a centering cone that had a press fit to keep the gear stabilized. All replacement gear sets came with the updated cone feature. The higher HP models were actually causing the splines to shatter. This was a running change sometime after 76. The seal surface on the pinion shaft is a chrome ring bonded to the steel shaft and sometimes rust will crawl under the ring and cause the seals to leak.
The seals are to be installed after the shaft is torqued to around 100 ft.lbs. An old water pump shaft can be used as a holding fixture. Without the seal guide tool you have to be careful to not reverse the seal lips when installing over the shaft. The seal installing mandrel “squares” the seal in the housing so just be real careful to get them as “square” as possible. If you are careful you should be able to get it right.