OMC 3.0 Wint run right after fuel pump repair

380tom

Recruit
So after finally figuring out that my hard start after warm problems was a bad fuel pump (fuel in clear line) my boat runs like crap. I re-built the fuel pump and added a regulator to keep my fuel pressure at 4lb. The boat now starts fine whether cold or warm/hot, BUT it really struggles off of idle under a load and sometimes backfires through the carb if I whack the throttle. The funny thing is, when the fuel pump was dumping fuel in the carb, it ran great right off of idle I could whack the throttle and it would jump up out of the hole. Now that the fuel pump problem is fixed it runs like crap.
Just to note I re-built the carb about 6 months ago thinking my warm/hot hard starting issues was the carb but that didn't fix the issue. After doing a bit of reading here, I figured out the fuel pump issue.
Please if anyone can help...I have a long awaited fishing trip Friday and my boat is running like crap!
:facepalm:

Bondo

Staff member
I re-built the fuel pump and added a regulator to keep my fuel pressure at 4lb. BUT it really struggles off of idle under a load and sometimes backfires through the carb if I whack the throttle.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Fuel pressure to a carb should be 4 to 6 psi, so yer at dead minimum,....

If bumpin' it to 6 psi don't fix the problem,......
Go bad to the carb settin's, as it's still runnin' Lean,.....

alldodge

Staff member
really struggles off of idle under a load and sometimes backfires through the carb if I whack the throttle

Agree get pressure up a tad more

Go back into the carb to verify float level is correct and the accelerator pump is getting a full stroke. Then recheck timing