How to disconnect engine Control handle

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was trying to disconnect it, but don't want to break the handle.
Can someone suggest me the process?
Doing it to change the vinyl on the side, handle itself working perfectly fine.

Handle is controlling the 1995 Cobra SX (Volvo SX) motor.

Also, anyway to get a part to replace the dust/water cover on the up/down buttons highlighted in yellow?

Attachments

• photo309238.jpg
    photo309238.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 0
  • photo309239.jpg
    photo309239.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 0

wrench 3

Commander
There should be a set screw in the bottom of the handle that takes a 1/8" allen key.
BRP only lists that switch cover as part of the $65.00 complete switch kit. So I'm afraid that I don't know were you could get a reasonably priced replacement.

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There should be a set screw in the bottom of the handle that takes a 1/8" allen key.
BRP only lists that switch cover as part of the $65.00 complete switch kit. So I'm afraid that I don't know were you could get a reasonably priced replacement.

Do you have a link to that BRP part or a part number?
I'll try tonight to find the set screw, can see it being a b*tch to get to due to vinyl sticking out and blocking access.
Thanks

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Click on SD Accessories in the pull down menu, then your year, them select the correct remote control link.

The Stern Drive menu has all the engine and stern drive part info.

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So managed to disconnect yesterday.
It has to be in "full throttle" position to get to the set screw.

Thanks for the part number, see it on eBay for $80, which is crazy, but also see the part number 176530 for sale as well.
The handle looks the same but the switch a little different, but with the same looking 3 wires, must be the same just different style. Funny design that you need to cut the wires to remove the handle, no quick disconnect. I'll have to solder them b ack afterwards. I guess another option is just to keep what I have, just cosmetics :)